[SOLVED] Why does a factory OC TUF 3080 need to be underclocked?

Hi all, after some big brain trouble shooting, I've found out that my black screens were not due to my RAM, but rather was my GPU being factory overclocked.
View: https://imgur.com/0RqhtwX

Using MSI Afterburner, I reduced the core clock by (-25). If I leave it at default, I will get black screens periodically, with a nvlddmkm error under display in event viewer.
What's the deal here? What causes a gpu not to be able to run at it's factory OC speed?

Solution
Update bios to the latest.
Update chipset drivers.
Update windows to the most recent version if not already.
Use DDU in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers.
If it still crashes then I would suggest RMA since the GPU can't hold the factory OC.
I've heard tell that the boot process is so fast windows 10 doesn't catch it.
Just hearsay on the net tho.
What does this, has anything to do with the topic?
Windows 10 doesn't "catch" what exactly?

Hi all, after some big brain trouble shooting, I've found out that my black screens were not due to my RAM, but rather was my GPU being factory overclocked.
View: https://imgur.com/0RqhtwX

Using MSI Afterburner, I reduced the core clock by (-25). If I leave it at default, I will get black screens periodically, with a nvlddmkm error under display in event viewer.
What's the deal here? What causes a gpu not to be able to run at it's factory OC speed?
It should work, unless you are very unlucky and got a bad GPU. But there are other reasons as well. Psu being insufficient, driver issues, bios needs an update etc.
What are your system specs? Include make and model of the PSU.

What does this, has anything to do with the topic?
Windows 10 doesn't "catch" what exactly?

It should work, unless you are very unlucky and got a bad GPU. But there are other reasons as well. Psu being insufficient, driver issues, bios needs an update etc.
What are your system specs? Include make and model of the PSU.
-i9900k (https://www.newegg.com/core-i9-9th-gen-intel-core-i9-9900k/p/N82E16819117957?Item=N82E16819117957) that one in particular
-DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 2x16GB
-h150i Corsair cooler
-Corsair Rmx850W white (https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-...a-850w/p/N82E16817139247?Item=N82E16817139247) that one in particular
-ASUS TUF 3080 OC
-Asus z390(E) LGA 1151 300 series

Pretty much at my wits end because I feel like this setup should be good, but maybe the mobo and the PSU (system is about a year and a half old) are the culprit? When I underclock it runs everything I need it to at ultra @2k res so performance isn't an issue, and my temps are fine as well (on my work PC atm so I would post screenies if I was on my personal system).

One thing to note is that prior to underclocking, if I'm gaming and watching videos it doesn't tend to happen, but if I don't game and just play youtube in full screen it seems to happen much more frequently.

No CPU overclocking, just using it as-is out of the box. Shoulda saved the $70 and just went for the non-OC edition I do believe haha

Update chipset drivers.
If it still crashes then I would suggest RMA since the GPU can't hold the factory OC.

Solution
Update chipset drivers.
I will do as you suggest and get back to you. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: dotas1
Alright, thinking I finally fixed my issues.
I think I was using an old HDMI cable for my 2nd monitor. Replaced it with a display port cable.
If it wasn't that, I also used DDU in safe mode and did a fresh install of drivers.
Will confirm if I can run it at factory OC settings consistently, still been underclocking the core by 20 mhz. But it seems very stable in my current config.

Gonna do some new fan configuration with my AIO exhausting out the top as is recommended. See if that helps as well.
Also waiting on the new nvidia drivers, heard there's actually alot of people having some issues with the new 3000 series and the next driver is gonna be addressing some of these, or so I've read.

Thanks for the assistance guys.