Why does a normal M.2 Boot quicker than an NVMe M.2 SSD?

Zombie21

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
So recently I purchased a new HP Omen Laptop which has a 128GB Toshiba M.2 SSD, 8GB of RAM and an i5 8300H. With no startup processes this laptop boots to windows in around 4 Seconds.

My main desktop however has a 256GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe SSD 16GB of RAM and an i7 7700k. With no startup processes enabled from task manager, this boots in around 15 seconds.

I have ran a Crystal disk benchmark and confirmed that the SSD in my Desktop has Higher sequential read/write speeds.

Any ideas why the laptop is so much faster?

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
It all depends on how you are measuring and what your are measuring.

Often your desktop is doing extra self diagnostics before posting, and then doing more checks, etc. including like giving people the opportunity to press 'del' and wasting 5 seconds waiting for that.

If you really want to go all out and make your desktop boot fast, study this:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-windows-10-boot-time,5810.html

5 secs is what Tom's managed to do, but it is a lot tweaking.

Zombie21

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

I'll see if Gigabyte have any tweaks in the BIOS to change how long the whole 'press 'del' to enter setup screen is up for

4 seconds was me rounding up. It actually takes 3.6 to boot (according to task manager) I always shut the laptop down so I can assure you that it is 100% off. I have no way to access any of the BIOS Settings on the laptop and my desktop already has Gigabytes 'ultra fast boot' enabled.

USAFRet

Titan

"3.6 seconds" to a usable Windows desktop can't happen.
This is coming out of some state other than "OFF".

Zombie21

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

As proof that I'm not a liar, here's what it says in Windows Task Manager. https://imgur.com/jj01AAu

I timed it with a stopwatch from the second I pressed the power button and received a time of 9.33 seconds.

My desktop PC when I timed it gave me 17.48 seconds

USAFRet

Titan

That "3.6" the BIOS time. The time it takes for the BIOS to do whatever it needs doing.
Not your whole boot up time.

You're measuring the wrong thing.

Zombie21

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

Yeah I figured I measured the wrong thing, hence why I used a stop watch to time it from when I pressed the power button. There is still a large margin of difference between the two systems though, surely the laptop would be slower?

USAFRet

Titan
So...

Total laptop = 9.33
Total desktop = 17.48

Again, it could be multiple things.
BIOS on the desktop taking longer
Different RAM configs (yes, it makes a difference)
Laptop not actually "off".
Different applications starting up.

NVMe vs SATA SSD has little effect on overall boot up elapsed time.
The sequential value difference that CrystalDiskMark shows you has zero effect.
You're obsessing over a trivial number.

Zombie21

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

Well It's been bugging me a lot lately so I thought I'd find out once and for all what the truth is...
I can only assume that the BIOS on the desktop is what's making the difference
The Laptop RAM is set to 2666MHz, Desktop is at 3200MHz
The Laptop IS OFF...
My Desktop has NO active startup applications...

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
I don't know if is OCD, asperbergers, or some other issues, and I know I have obsessed about different stuff before. But a 10 sec difference of boot time for stuff that happens in less than 20sec, is in all practical reality, is not where I'd put my mental energies in figuring out. I'd rather get 30 more fps in games, or get 500GB for storage, which is to say I would gladly suffer 10 secs of extra boot time to get have a much more powerful desktop PC.

Zombie21

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

Well I do suffer with some issues I'd prefer not to divulge to everyone so perhaps that is why I'm obsessing over small things like temperatures and boot times..

On a side note I left my Desktop on while I went to deal with some other stuff and came back a few hours later to a blue-screen. apparently 'partmgr.sys' failed and caused a 'SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED' error. No idea why this happened or what caused it but I figured I'd update everyone none the less..