why does AMD bios freeze when 2 sticks of ram are in?

jdh440

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I have a AMD a760g m2+ and I just upgraded from a Athlon 5000+ x2 to a Phenom 9550. But when I put both ram sticks in it freezes after 15 seconds of being in the bios. Though when I have only 1 stick everything works fine. also upgraded from 2gb to 4gb. Maybe a dumb question but would it be raid option being on? Also I'm not 100% but I think the voltages for the cpu is wrong on boot up screen. thanks in advance.

jdh440

Distinguished
May 12, 2008

2 sticks of samsung 2gb. Yes that is my motherboard.

jdh440

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I was gonna let you know that there is a setting in the memory option of bios. Its XOR of Address Bit. I've tried every setting even disabled it. But still doesn't fix my problem. Any other ideas of why i can only use one stick of ram??

jdh440

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I tried increasing the memory voltage yet still no luck. I still have not found a way to get 2 ram sticks to work. I'm still running off 1 2gb of ram. :(

here are all my PC components: Biostar 760g m2+, Phenom x4 9550, 2x 2gb samsung ram, amd 4670, Seagate 7200rpm hdd and a brand new 600w Thermaltake tr2 power supply.

This started right after i bought the power supply. I know the psu is good because i checked it on another PC.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I really need to know the specs on the memory. Did you buy them as a matched set? Dual Channel memory systems need MATCHED pairs of RAM to function properly. They have to be the same brand, speed, voltage, timing, etc or problems can arise. That is why dual channel memory is usually sold in matched pairs.
Try each stick individually in each slot to be sure one of the slots is not bad.

You can verify that both sticks are not defective by running memtest on each stick individually for one FULL pass:
http://www.memtest.org/
Simply download the .ISO file and use it to burn a CD. Put it in the optical drive and re-boot. Memtest will load and begin testing memory immediately.

As to the RAID question, what do you mean being ON? Is the SATA Mode set to RAID in BIOS?
This is page 22 of your MB manual:
OnChip SATA Type
This option allows you to select the on-chip Serial ATA operation mode.
Options: Native IDE (Default) / RAID / AHCI / Legacy IDE / IDEÆAHCI /
HyperFlash / IDEÆHyperFlash

If you have 2 or more HDDs in a RAID* array, then use RAID. If not...
For normal use with a single boot drive, it will depend on what kind of drive is conencted; SATA or older IDE (ribbon cable). And what the OS is. Safest bet if you don't know is set it to the default setting and try to boot to Windows. If you can boot to Windows, all is fine. If not, try IDE/AHCI next. Then try AHCI.

R.A.I.D. = Redundant Array of Independent Disks