Question Why does an rtx 3060 require both an 8 pin and a 6 pin connector

amjedfiras

Honorable
Jun 11, 2018
I have an msi rtx 3060 gaming x edition which, according to their website, has a 175 watt power consumption. Now my motherboard which has 2.0 x16 pcie slot can provide 75 watts to the gpu and an 8 pin connector can provide up to 150 watts of power. A 6 pin connector can provide 75 watts. Now why cant the card have only one 8 pin power connector which would add up to 225 watts provided to the graphics card, which is well over the gpu's need?

it´s all about money and time to manufacture

it´s easier to solder always the same layout with minor changes to other more powerful layouts/GPUs

but the main thing here is that the peak power can get up to 280W in a ms . Slightly different card, but 170W TDP as well.
This can lead to shutdown the PSU if it can´t provide enough power then. So it´s safer to be able to provide more power. Good PSUs could work with fewer connectors, but in general some bad PSUs could lead to bad scenarios.

03-Peak-Power-1.png

amjedfiras

Honorable
Jun 11, 2018
it´s all about money and time to manufacture

it´s easier to solder always the same layout with minor changes to other more powerful layouts/GPUs

but the main thing here is that the peak power can get up to 280W in a ms . Slightly different card, but 170W TDP as well.
This can lead to shutdown the PSU if it can´t provide enough power then. So it´s safer to be able to provide more power. Good PSUs could work with fewer connectors, but in general some bad PSUs could lead to bad scenarios.

03-Peak-Power-1.png
Oh ok thank you. Do you think it matters if i use my gpu on a pcie 2.0 x16 pcie slot until i get another board or will that damage the gpu?

75 watt from the PCIE slot is 66watts 12v and 9watts from 5v&3.3v. older slots were 59w 12v.
NOT 75watts 12 volt which is what most cards use.
Then you have a lot of OEM motherboards that only have 35-40 watt PCIE slots.

The 6&8 pin connectors make it compatible with these low end PCIE slots.

Last edited:
Reactions: PEnns

amjedfiras

Honorable
Jun 11, 2018
75 watt from the PCIE slot is 66watts 12v and 9watts from 5v&3.3v. older slots were 59w 12v.
NOT 75watts 12 volt which is what most cards use.
Then you have a lot of OEM motherboards that only have 35-40 watt PCIE slots.

The 6&8 pin connectors make it compatible with these low end PCIE slots.
Thank you

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Little worried about the other specs here. A PSU that is either old enough or of poor enough quality that it doesn't even have two 6+2 connectors is going to be a completely improper choice to run an RTX 3060. And if the platform is old enough to not even have PCIE 3.0, then it's almost certainly far too weak to be looking at such a GPU.

amjedfiras

Honorable
Jun 11, 2018
Little worried about the other specs here. A PSU that is either old enough or of poor enough quality that it doesn't even have two 6+2 connectors is going to be a completely improper choice to run an RTX 3060. And if the platform is old enough to not even have PCIE 3.0, then it's almost certainly far too weak to be looking at such a GPU.
Yeah I am getting a 600 watt corsair psu and im planning on getting a new motherboard and a new cpu soon, but i wanted to see if it is okay to run the gpu on this motherboard for some time.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah I am getting a 600 watt corsair psu and im planning on getting a new motherboard and a new cpu soon, but i wanted to see if it is okay to run the gpu on this motherboard for some time.

If the PSU is fine, it's safe to run the GPU on the motherboard. PCIE 2.0 won't hurt a GPU. A junky PSU may well, though. Which PSU are you thinking of getting? The only Corsair PSU that is 600W that would run this safely is a Corsair SF 600 but an expensive SFX PSU would be an odd choice if you didn't need one. Do *not* run the GPU on the old PSU. Not for a month, a week, or a minute.

amjedfiras

Honorable
Jun 11, 2018
If the PSU is fine, it's safe to run the GPU on the motherboard. PCIE 2.0 won't hurt a GPU. A junky PSU may well, though. Which PSU are you thinking of getting? The only Corsair PSU that is 600W that would run this safely is a Corsair SF 600 but an expensive SFX PSU would be an odd choice if you didn't need one. Do *not* run the GPU on the old PSU. Not for a month, a week, or a minute.
I cant run it on the old psu even if i wanted to lol (i need another 6 pin connector which i my psu does not have), im still looking at options for a new psu since the options are kind of limited where im from.

amjedfiras

Honorable
Jun 11, 2018
My main options right now are the
1. ASUS TUF GAMING 550W 80+ BRONZE
2.ASUS ROG STRIX 550G 550W 80+ GOLD
3.CORSAIR CV550 550W 80+ BRONZE
Should i look for something else?

amjedfiras

Honorable
Jun 11, 2018
Of those three the Strix is the best power supply.
Others
Superflower Leadex 3 line
Corsair RM???X line
Seasonic
What is available in your area?
It really depends on what store owners get, but i can look for some of the psus you recommended. Should i get the strix or see if i can find something else. I found both a corsair RM650 and an RM650X but i feel like that is too much.

Yes they are a little more expensive, but they have a 10 year guarantee.
And they have protections . Over current, over voltage and many more.
Meaning if it should somehow die it will not kill all of your other components.
The power supply is the heart of a computer, a good one protects it and lasts many years of solid performance.
A cheap one slowly kills it and takes out other parts when it dies in a few years.
The strix is a good unit.
I just did not know if something as good or better for a lower price might be available to you.

Reactions: amjedfiras