Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
My specs
Sapphire x1900gt
AMD 3800+
2gigs ddr2 800
msi 550
Windows Vista Home Premium

Why when im playing sharqi peninsula in bf2 (all highs and 4x aa) does my game get about 20-30 fps average? Also it drops down to 15 fps every minute. Why isn't my game running 70 fps?

(I also have the latest vista drivers from ATI)

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Benchmark the card on Xp and if you still get low frame rates then let me know ,

As far as Vista is concerned it is a can of worms . :twisted:

WOOOHOO 400 POSTS :D

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
Overclock your cpu and ram you should get better frame rates.
The game is really cpu sensitive.
Yes also try and get rid of VISTA.

4745454b

Titan
What res are you playing at? If its 1280x1024 and you have everything on high with 4AA, I wouldn't expect an x1900GT to give you 70FPS. While not bad, that card isn't near the top of the line, nor was it ment to be. ATIs GT cards aren't that good. Read this review and look at the toms benchies. You'll notice that this card isn't supposed to spit out 70FPS at high res with max details and 4AA.

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
as the others said : VISTA
Here are some of my Windows Vista Ultimate benchmarks :
----------
3DMark05(default) :
with Windows XP Service Pack 2 = 11300
with Windows Vista Ultimate = 9200 :evil:
----------
Test Drive Unlimited (1024x768+Max Details+HDR+4xAA) :
with Windows XP Service Pack 2 = 30~55 FPS
with Windows Vista Ultimate = 10~32 :evil:
----------
two words : VISTA SUCKS !!!!

physco827

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
lotta posts overnight. I see vista is a big problem and i know a guy with similar specs in this forum that says he gets good frames at that resolution.

Oh and my mouse is an mx518 beerandcandy.......

slashzapper congrats on 400.

B1GBUD

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
I've not played BF2 on Vista buit I'm guessing there is a performance hit.

Sharqi is quite intensive near the TV station & Construction yard due to heavy use of dynamic shadows (if you have them unabled). Have you tried turning shadows down or off?

I also noticed that if you have HQ AF or Adaptive AA enabled then they take a huge performance hit too, particularly near bushy areas.

Can you copy your video.con file (My Docs\BF2\Profiles I think) it should open in notepad, and post it so I can see your settings?
Also what settings you have forced in Catalyst Control Centre?

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Good question about catalyst settings. I read somewhere that when you force AA and AS settings and then you set them in a game, that the values are added. Anyone know if this is true or false? Sounds false to me.... but if you have max AA in catalyst and then max in game.... it would kill frame rates if the lit was true. And to back up your claim about the tv station, I noticed with my 7800GTX oc'ed during high action seens, arty and such my fps would drop to a slide show at times around the tv station.

wes

physco827

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
wow i feel dumb

in all settings in ati ccc i had veritcal refresh to off unless the application specifies......

wow

turned that off runs fine, thanks for having me check i feel stupid

weskurtz81 is a genius

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
What res are you playing at? If its 1280x1024 and you have everything on high with 4AA, I wouldn't expect an x1900GT to give you 70FPS. While not bad, that card isn't near the top of the line, nor was it ment to be. ATIs GT cards aren't that good. Read this review and look at the toms benchies. You'll notice that this card isn't supposed to spit out 70FPS at high res with max details and 4AA.
One of my old 7800GT COs was more than capable of handing Battlefield2 at 1280x1024 with 4xAA, so an X1900GT should be fine.

pongrules

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Good question about catalyst settings. I read somewhere that when you force AA and AS settings and then you set them in a game, that the values are added. Anyone know if this is true or false? Sounds false to me.... but if you have max AA in catalyst and then max in game.... it would kill frame rates if the lit was true. And to back up your claim about the tv station, I noticed with my 7800GTX oc'ed during high action seens, arty and such my fps would drop to a slide show at times around the tv station.

wes

I'd be interested in finding out if this is true. I've always been confused by this.

fletch420

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
ok- i was attempting to read this thread and provide some help and I have had to stop myself.......It's NOT necessarily VISTA---holy crap OMFG. while it may suffer some reduced frames VISTA can be tuned even with the current beta drivers to get maxxed fps.
First off run the game in single player with max bots. Whatever that fps value is should likley be what you could hope to get on a server with <70 ping. I have to agree with some of the other folks as well that the vid card you are running is not upto running bf2 maxxed out without some OC work. A few other things thaty can slow you down- since it's a fresh install look at the auido settings, generally get better fps with eax off, and tunr auido to hardware enable if you have a sound card as this will free up resources. also make sure the res that you are running in game matches that of your desktop that helped in the past as well.

cheers

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Overclock your cpu and ram you should get better frame rates.
The game is really cpu sensitive.
Yes also try and get rid of VISTA.
Not quite. First order of business, BF2 likes ram. Lots of it. Secondly, it likes a good GPU. Lastly, it likes ram overclocks. Then GPU oclk, then CPU overclocks.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
it is not vista, dont listen to xp fanboys. You need to overclock the living piss outta ur cpu and u will get better results
Is it because we actually know what we're talking about? Battlefield2 under Windows XP already needs 2GB of RAM, so when your bloated operating system(Vista) uses up 1GB of RAM at idle, you're bound to have a problem.