Why does CPU temp varies depending on software, and Bios?

cronos177

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
Dear Community,

I have an Athlon ii X3 OC to 3.7, stable no temps problems, or anything. I have the easytuner from gigabyte mobo, that I use it ONLY to check CPU, Mobo temps voltages, RPMs etc. I downloaded HWmonitor and Core Temp They both always give me a 10C less temperatures than the easytune and Bios does. Which one is more reliable? As a user I tend to lean more to the easytune, rather than Core temp or HWmonitor. What do you think? Do you experience similar phenomena?

Solution
Understand that your temperature sensor doesnt send the actual temperature, it sends a single that gets interpreted relative to its baseline calibration, the software interprets it as best it can into a temperature. I would use multiple temperature programs and which ever ones match up the best at idle and load would be my choices for the closest to true readings, if 3 of 4 programs read 50C and one reads 55C its more likely that your temp is 50C.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
bios doesnt use have idle mode that is why its always hotter in bios.
Some software demand more calculations so they use more power inturn more heat.
Coretemp and Hwmonitor is correct that is because idle mode is on in windows and has been a part of windows OS ever since.So yes idle mode is very energy efficient.

And yes we all have this experience.

cronos177

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011

Thanks for quick reply! But I don't know if its a dumb question, I Open all of them right next to each other same time, All of the agree except the easytuner. So does your answer applies in this case?

Understand that your temperature sensor doesnt send the actual temperature, it sends a single that gets interpreted relative to its baseline calibration, the software interprets it as best it can into a temperature. I would use multiple temperature programs and which ever ones match up the best at idle and load would be my choices for the closest to true readings, if 3 of 4 programs read 50C and one reads 55C its more likely that your temp is 50C.

Solution

cronos177

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
mmm... I see. thanks for the insight, I see same happens with my GPU as CCC read a lower temperature than Afterburner, and GPU-Z. In the end I go with the highest temperatures just to be safe. But i appreciate the Info.

I can't explain the GPU one but I think easy tune is reading the sensor on your motherboard and the others are reading the core temp. Does HW monitor have a reading that you are not sure what it is that reads the same temp as easy tune?