Why does enabling WG511 cause WGR614 to stop wireless side..

Engel

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2004

I have had a stable network, - cable modem, WGR614, two desktops on cat5 to the
router and two laptops, one with cardbus WG511 and other with Intel 2200BG.
Zone Alarm pro is the firewall. I decided to take one of the desktops off the
cat5 and insert a WG511v2 pci wireless card. Wireless side is WEP 128 bit
open. Set up has proven problematic, I did at one time have the WG511 running
but I also went to SP2 and spent hours finding the solution to the no
connection after disabling the SP2 firewall problem - (check the enable TCP/IP
filtering box) and now I cannot reconnect the WG511.

Situation is that with the WG511 disabled, everything else is fine but when I
try to connect the WG511 it kills the wireless side of the router almost
immediately. With the WG511 powered down or disabled I can re-apply my
wireless settings and the wireless will come back up but re-enable the WG511
and down it goes again.

Can anyone explain to me what is happening and better still, how to fix it?

Thanks, Engel

Engel wrote:
> I have had a stable network, - cable modem, WGR614, two desktops on
> cat5 to the router and two laptops, one with cardbus WG511 and other
> with Intel 2200BG. Zone Alarm pro is the firewall. I decided to take
> one of the desktops off the cat5 and insert a WG511v2 pci wireless
> card. Wireless side is WEP 128 bit open. Set up has proven
> problematic, I did at one time have the WG511 running but I also went
> to SP2 and spent hours finding the solution to the no connection
> after disabling the SP2 firewall problem - (check the enable TCP/IP
> filtering box) and now I cannot reconnect the WG511.
>
> Situation is that with the WG511 disabled, everything else is fine
> but when I try to connect the WG511 it kills the wireless side of the
> router almost immediately. With the WG511 powered down or disabled I
> can re-apply my wireless settings and the wireless will come back up
> but re-enable the WG511 and down it goes again.
>
> Can anyone explain to me what is happening and better still, how to
> fix it?
>
> Thanks, Engel

If you are using the WG511 setup software, then disable the Wireless
Zero Configuration service itself. If you are using WZC, then the WG511
driver needs to be installed, but not the setup software, particularly
if there is a startup app portion of that setup software. Some have had
to uninstall wireless setup software to make their network function.

Engel

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2004

>Engel wrote:
>> I have had a stable network, - cable modem, WGR614, two desktops on
>> cat5 to the router and two laptops, one with cardbus WG511 and other
>> with Intel 2200BG. Zone Alarm pro is the firewall. I decided to take
>> one of the desktops off the cat5 and insert a WG511v2 pci wireless
>> card. Wireless side is WEP 128 bit open. Set up has proven
>> problematic, I did at one time have the WG511 running but I also went
>> to SP2 and spent hours finding the solution to the no connection
>> after disabling the SP2 firewall problem - (check the enable TCP/IP
>> filtering box) and now I cannot reconnect the WG511.
>>
>> Situation is that with the WG511 disabled, everything else is fine
>> but when I try to connect the WG511 it kills the wireless side of the
>> router almost immediately. With the WG511 powered down or disabled I
>> can re-apply my wireless settings and the wireless will come back up
>> but re-enable the WG511 and down it goes again.
>>
>> Can anyone explain to me what is happening and better still, how to
>> fix it?
>>
>> Thanks, Engel
>
>"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:
>If you are using the WG511 setup software, then disable the Wireless
>Zero Configuration service itself. If you are using WZC, then the WG511
>driver needs to be installed, but not the setup software, particularly
>if there is a startup app portion of that setup software. Some have had
>to uninstall wireless setup software to make their network function.

Update from Engel
Disabling the WZC has had the desired effect in that router wireless no longer
powers down. The WG511 is also connecting but has difficulty getting the
tcp/ip and is slow to connect initially and is not reliable, several 'repairs'
have been needed. Overall effect at the moment is that it is better to keep
the cat5 connection. I don't think this is a signal strength problem.

Thanks to Quaoar for the advice.
Engel

Engel wrote:
>> Engel wrote:
>>> I have had a stable network, - cable modem, WGR614, two desktops on
>>> cat5 to the router and two laptops, one with cardbus WG511 and other
>>> with Intel 2200BG. Zone Alarm pro is the firewall. I decided to
>>> take one of the desktops off the cat5 and insert a WG511v2 pci
>>> wireless card. Wireless side is WEP 128 bit open. Set up has
>>> proven problematic, I did at one time have the WG511 running but I
>>> also went to SP2 and spent hours finding the solution to the no
>>> connection after disabling the SP2 firewall problem - (check the
>>> enable TCP/IP filtering box) and now I cannot reconnect the WG511.
>>>
>>> Situation is that with the WG511 disabled, everything else is fine
>>> but when I try to connect the WG511 it kills the wireless side of
>>> the router almost immediately. With the WG511 powered down or
>>> disabled I can re-apply my wireless settings and the wireless will
>>> come back up but re-enable the WG511 and down it goes again.
>>>
>>> Can anyone explain to me what is happening and better still, how to
>>> fix it?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Engel
>>
>> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:
>> If you are using the WG511 setup software, then disable the Wireless
>> Zero Configuration service itself. If you are using WZC, then the
>> WG511 driver needs to be installed, but not the setup software,
>> particularly if there is a startup app portion of that setup
>> software. Some have had to uninstall wireless setup software to
>> make their network function.

> Update from Engel
> Disabling the WZC has had the desired effect in that router wireless
> no longer powers down. The WG511 is also connecting but has
> difficulty getting the tcp/ip and is slow to connect initially and is
> not reliable, several 'repairs' have been needed. Overall effect at
> the moment is that it is better to keep the cat5 connection. I don't
> think this is a signal strength problem.
>
> Thanks to Quaoar for the advice.
> Engel

Before you abandon the wireless, Google for both lspfix.exe, and
winsockxpfix.exe. Both with repair a damage TCP/IP stack, among other
things. Your problem connection might very well benefit.

Latest posts