Why Does Everybody Dislike Antec PSUs?

danizaken

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2005
Ok, so i have one vote for it.
Who else?
The True Control II looks like the best psu for the price range. 70% efficiency, SLI Ready!, 550watts...what can be bad?!?
does it have adjustable rails?

RichPLS

Champion
I have an Antec True Power 430 watt and two years old is powering power hungry Prescott 3200 with 3 hard drives, ATI X800XT PE and DVD burner with ATI TV Wonder Pro to boot!
Antec makes great PSU's!

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Well, of the higher end PSU's, they are on the lower spectrum of price.
As is the Fortron/Sparkle Power PSU's are also.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

danizaken

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2005
So True Control II 550 vs OCZ PowerStream 520?
the Antec has dual 12v summing up as 38ampers on the 12v
and the OCZ has a single 12v rail with 33ampers

RichPLS

Champion
Both are very good PSU's and either will power about same systems.
The OCZ is higher priced but flashier, IMO.

RichPLS

Champion
Getting into that much money, and feeling the need for power!, might consider this less flashy but <A HREF="http://www.coolerguys.com/840556018889.html" target="_new"> behemoth of a PSU 680watts for $154 </A>

It has 3 12volt rails...

danizaken

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2005
but with a psu offering voltage adjustment and 520w, voltages can be exact or 0.1 less on the rails and maybe better than a 680w.
Maybe i'm exaggerating cause my voltages are:
10.9 on the +12
4.865 on the +5
3.152 on the +3.3
with a 330w antec truepower

RichPLS

Champion
I like that OCZ PSU very much, it is an overclockers dream.

RichPLS

Champion
But that 680watt TT will carry much more juice, and is stable to boot, without the flash, cept for mirrored polished aluminum.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, I just said their standard models are low end. Their high end models are better.

Antec doesn't just make "true power", "true blue", and "true control", they also make cheaper power supplies. As in, they make both good and not-so-good power supplies.

When someone says something stupid, like "Just get an Antec, any will do" I jump on them like a rabit on a carrot for a reason: I've had several Antec power supplies that would drop voltage at around 70% load, causing system instability.

The cheaper models I speak of don't have a name, just a model number.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I wasnt aware of the this. Why do you think everyone hates ANTEC? They have some that only whisper when running at high RPMs.-

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

danizaken

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2005
Now after playing a game for a couple of hours, the +12v went down to 10.7! I'm suprised that i was even able to play it. It was laggy and i'm sure it's not my system

G

I like my SP500!
Only grip I have is them being overpriced when they dont include them in there case!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
The only person who dislikes Antecs with an informed opinion in here is Crash,a nd as he has said every time, doesn't apply to all of them, just their cheaper series (read, solution series). The Smart Powers are passable, and the Trupower/Trucontrol are good reliable PSUs. They aren't the best value for the money, that tends to go to the Fortrons, but the Antecs are good PSUs, and actually, I use a lot of them for basic builds, as easier to buy antec case with an included PSU than buy seperate case and PSU. But again, here, have to make sure it's a SmartPower or Trupower.

Hell though, even on the Solution eries, back when I used to use them, had better luck with them than with some of the other cheap crap out ther.e

RichPLS

Champion
NewEgg has the TruePower and Fortron PSU neck in neck pricing wise.

VChuck

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2003
Yeah too bad,it seems as though people are hearing about how good Fortrons are and the prices have gone up, s***!should've got one before this.

TRENDING THREADS