• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Why does everyone have Intel Quad-Cores?

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Why do I see so many people with Intel Quad-cores when you can buy an AMD Dual-core that runs just as well for half the price?

particleman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Oh Man......I sense a flame thread. :pfff:

My opinion is...they are happy with it.

I am happy with my Phenom Quad.....

I guess its "To Each his own"

:bounce:

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Depends what you do. Quad is better for certain things such as video editing and is more futureproof. Intel make the fastest quads and the best oc quads too. This isn't a flame, I'm happy with my 4800+ :)

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Well I'm just curious. Is choosing Intel over AMD or Quad over Dual really make that big of a difference in quality or performance? Quads aren't really worth the money at this point in time IMO. so why do so many people have them? Not trying to offend anyone, just curious.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Q6600 isn't overly expensive these days and overclocks really well. That's the main reason I have one. Well, I do a lot of video rendering too and it loves the extra cores :)

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
quad core does performs better on multithread and vedio editing and stuff....

other than that....the more cores u have the more bragging rights u earn.

and y amd and not intel....
well intel gives more power specially when u overclock.
but sum ppl who don OC still get intel cpus which can be complimented by AMD cpus with less money.i dont really understand this concept

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008

q6600 at the current price is more than worth

Onus

Titan
I got my quad because I run multiple apps and don't like stuttering when I'm playing a game, or pauses when I'm in a document, caused by background apps. I wanted something that would last for a good long time. I don't need "Xtreme" anything, but didn't want to feel the [expensive] upgrade itch from not buying what I really wanted in the first place.
I was tempted by AMD, because I either don't oc by default or only enough to get RAM to 1:1, but figured the option to oc if I needed to is better to have than not have. Even not oc'ed, my Q9450 outperforms AMD, so why not get it?

sorce7200

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
Peculiar situation perhaps....perhaps not

I purchased a factory system with the 6400 + Live, 2 Gb mem, onboard
graphics, sata system....added 2 250 Gb WD HD's full of sesitive data
(games and applications as well as data files, personal stuff...you know)
The O.S. was Vista Home Premium...

When I booted up the system causally churned away for 20 or so mins
and informed me that it had erased, reformated and locked 98% of
ALL my files on the 2 added sata drives.!!! Unbelievable !!!!
I pulled my 2 drives, returned the system and built my own system:
Quad 6600, 2 Gb ram, Nvidia 8800Gts 512, sata system, on an XP-Pro
O.S....hooked up my 2 250 Gb hard drives and found that ALL my files,
games and applications had indeed been erased or corupted by my
venture into the world of the insanity that is AMD, ATI, and Vista!!!
These files as listed above was a years long collection of the best
of the best in my opinion, as we all have, as well as loads of personal
photos, vacations, and family stuff....
Fortunately, I had DVD backups of all my files, so these rip-off products
did not cause me total loss, merely agonizing anxiety and the hassle of
dealing with what should have never happened.
ATI apologized, but said it was an AMD prob...AMD said it was a VISTA
security issue, and Microsoft said in effect: "So what." !!!!!
I personally would NOT use another AMD or ATI, or Vista product if you
paid me to....
For ME? It is Intel, Nvidia and XP all the way......

No flaming intended....if ATI, AMD, or Vista works for you...then great...
Glad you are satisfied....cause choice is what computing is about...

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007

You say there not worth the money, but if you have been following the market, you would see that Both AMD and Intel offer mainstream Quads at reasonably affordable prices now. My Q6600 cost cost just over £130 and that's considering I manged to reach a nice 3Ghz overclock with Minimum effort. I'm sure I could do better than 3Ghz, but I'm happy and power consumption stays within a reasonable level.

AMD still offer some good value solutions that will perform tasks well. I'm still using an AMD X2 as a second machine, which still performs well in most tasks. I may have chosen AMD again if I could of Upgraded, but AMD abandoned Socket 939 in favor of AM2. I needed a new machine because my games were lagging on the AMD machine, so Intel offered the best performance for the money. Crysis and a few other games have seen huge improvements on my Quad, that's considering I'm still using the same graphics cards as my old machine.

I believe that Quads are worthwhile, especially at current prices.

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
well I need a new CPU to match my 8800GTS 320. Do you guys recommend getting a 3.0Ghz AMD dual-core or a cheap Intel and overclocking it?

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007

You would be better off buying a cheap Intel and overclocking it, but it's worth buying an aftermarket cooler if you do.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

Are you saying $ 190 for a Q 6600 quad that gives you 3.3 to 3.6 on air is not worth the money? I think you are crazy.

nukemaster

Titan

Sounds to me like you got hit with NTFS security. I brought 4 drives over from XP to vista without issues. I had to retake ownership of my files. I would have to do this on XP as well. If you want this to NEVER happen again. Add "Everyone" with the permission of READ(there are 3 properties accosted with this) so you can at least access your files. its less secure, but since anyone can take ownership anyway, i do not see it as a problem. You still have to take ownership in the end anyway.

I have a set of 2 drives that have been from an AMD/ATI/XP system to an INTEL/ATI/XP system to a Intel/Nvidia/XP system, and last to a Intel/Nvidia/Vista not a single loss yet. Linux has even made a few appearances too.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Well, It was likely not NTFS security, but he likely had encrypted folders.
Even more secure than NTFS because even as an admin, you can't take ownership and view the files.

Also, trying to transfer the drives to another system would have a similar effect to what he has described.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Yeah I made that mistake by encrypting my outlook pst file. My system crashed and the backup was useless because I was on a different installation. GRRRRRRRRRRR I dont like ntfs

Natural_Silly

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
u need to pay a company to recover them.
: )
a friend of my happend the same.
we tried everything.
we're both freaks and it wasn't possible.

do not ever encrypt your files with a backup of the certificates.
do no ever encypt files if u don't know how and what.

camaross427

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
amd dual cores don't run close to an intel quad core's. Even my intel dual core is faster than all amd dual core's and some of their tri cores. A q6600 is only like $200 now so it is a great buy couple it with like a $150-$200 video card like a 8800gt,8800gts 512 or 4850 and you have a great gaming pc.

Dameon_Bananaman

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
i have a Q6600 for when i really need it. my computer is never pushed atm but its nice to know that when i really need it, i have 4 cores which are fast and ready for the tasks