[SOLVED] Why does Fortnite keep crashing?

Feb 29, 2020
Hello I am having trouble with Fortnite crashing randomly. I've tried a bunch of things I saw in Youtube videos but nothing seems to work. All drivers are up to date, temperatures are sub 60 while playing. Does anyone have any advice?

Ryzen 5 3600
EVGA RTX 2060 Super
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB 3600 MHZ clocked down to 3200 MHZ
Asus ROG Strix B450 F Gaming Motherboard Bios version 3003
Silicon Power 1TB NvME
Evga N1 650w

Faulting application name: EpicGamesLauncher.exe, version: 10.13.1.0, time stamp: 0x5e4bead0
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.657, time stamp: 0x64d10ee0
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000072a6
Faulting process id: 0x3ba4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5efa6c56d2c6b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Launcher\Portal\Binaries\Win64\EpicGamesLauncher.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 43eb2d77-21e0-4184-be23-94c3014b5000
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Last edited:
Solution
I went with a corsair MWE 80+ Gold. Thank you so much. For your help. Hopefully everything works out

Note that MWE is from Cooler Master and not Corsair. Also note that though the highest tier in the PSU TIER list is to be trusted, the list in itself is quite poorly put together and quite debatable. This is the cheapest premium option for you right now...

Lutfij

Titan
I've tried a bunch of things I saw in Youtube videos but nothing seems to work.
What exactly have you tried? We don't want to provide suggestions that haven't worked out for you.

Also, you forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age as well as the BIOS version for your motherboard. Please include the version for your OS as well.

Is the issue on Fortnite alone?

Feb 29, 2020
I've tried a bunch of things I saw in Youtube videos but nothing seems to work.
What exactly have you tried? We don't want to provide suggestions that haven't worked out for you.

Also, you forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age as well as the BIOS version for your motherboard. Please include the version for your OS as well.

Is the issue on Fortnite alone?

I have an EVGA 650 Watt Psu. Everything is brand new. MOBO Bios Version 3003.
I've tried changing the Tdr Level, changing everything to run as administrator. I was already running at lowest settings. I've replaced the graphics card twice went from rx 5600xt to rx 5700xt and now rtx 2060 super. i've verified the game. reinstalled the game. reinstalled windows. updated all my drivers.

Do you get the "fortnite application crash detected" message when crashing? Did you tweak "manage 3d settings" when you used rtx 2060, also keep testing on the 2060 cause rx 5700xt have driver issues which can cause crashes on theyre own atm.

Also what evga 650w model it is exactly?

Apply fixes until 2.30min in this video (no need to install gpu drivers again) :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1zfVQo112E

Feb 29, 2020
I dont think i touched manage 3d settings. The psu is an evga N1 650w. That you for your response and the video i will give it a try. And yes i did get fortnite applications crash detected message

Feb 29, 2020
I wouldnt even play with that PC until its changed, your risking expensive components.

My suggestion would be Evga G2 or G3. However you can look for something on the tier A or A+ list. Evga g2 and g3 never failed me, worth every penny.
I went with a corsair MWE 80+ Gold. Thank you so much. For your help. Hopefully everything works out

Note that MWE is from Cooler Master and not Corsair. Also note that though the highest tier in the PSU TIER list is to be trusted, the list in itself is quite poorly put together and quite debatable. This is the cheapest premium option for you right now:
https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-120-gp-0650-x1-650w/p/N82E16817438131?Item=N82E16817438131&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8PJtt6/evga-supernova-g1-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-120-gp-0650-x1&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-dnyyV6qbyb_A5iCD9VrA1w
There is currently a rebate so you will get it for 75$.

Also note that the PSU change will not fix your crashes, only reduce the risk it will pose to your whole system.

Fortnite is quite poorly optimized game in general. There are many reports in Forums of people having issues with Fortnite when every other games are working perfectly normal.

Before you spend any more of your valuable dollars (though the PSU upgrade is quite recommended), you may want to approach other solutions such as updating everything in your PC, BIOS, Drivers, GPU drivers, Windows Update, etc... as well as resetting the NVIDIA control panel and also reinstalling both the game and the epic games launcher as well. This will fix it for most people.

It's good that you don't use DX12 as it is still not optimised for Fortnite and causes a lot of crashes. You may also want to optmise in-game settings such as playing in Full-Screen, turning off V-Sync, turning on Multi Threaded Rendering and playing a native resolution if you're using stretched. You may also want to reset the games' userconfig.ini file as I know many people were recommended to tweak that for a performance boost.

Reactions: lga1156_ftw
Solution
Feb 29, 2020
Note that MWE is from Cooler Master and not Corsair. Also note that though the highest tier in the PSU TIER list is to be trusted, the list in itself is quite poorly put together and quite debatable. This is the cheapest premium option for you right now:
https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-120-gp-0650-x1-650w/p/N82E16817438131?Item=N82E16817438131&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8PJtt6/evga-supernova-g1-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-120-gp-0650-x1&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-dnyyV6qbyb_A5iCD9VrA1w
There is currently a rebate so you will get it for 75$.

Also note that the PSU change will not fix your crashes, only reduce the risk it will pose to your whole system.

Fortnite is quite poorly optimized game in general. There are many reports in Forums of people having issues with Fortnite when every other games are working perfectly normal.

Before you spend any more of your valuable dollars (though the PSU upgrade is quite recommended), you may want to approach other solutions such as updating everything in your PC, BIOS, Drivers, GPU drivers, Windows Update, etc... as well as resetting the NVIDIA control panel and also reinstalling both the game and the epic games launcher as well. This will fix it for most people.

It's good that you don't use DX12 as it is still not optimised for Fortnite and causes a lot of crashes. You may also want to optmise in-game settings such as playing in Full-Screen, turning off V-Sync, turning on Multi Threaded Rendering and playing a native resolution if you're using stretched. You may also want to reset the games' userconfig.ini file as I know many people were recommended to tweak that for a performance boost.
Awesome. Thank you so much for your input and time. I really appreciate it.

Sep 26, 2020
Any chance you found a solution to this problem? I have the same issue and contacted epic games about it. After about a month of back and forth emails they said there was nothing they could do and I have to wait for an update.