Question why does ga-ma790gt-ud4h give pci-pci bridge error with gt730 card

Jul 23, 2019
We're going to need more information than that.

List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the version for your OS, the age of your PSU and the drivers you're using for your platform.
As expected! Sorry.
AMD PhenomII x4 90watt w/heat pipe heatsink
gigabyte ga-ma790gp-ud4h
8gig ddr2 (4x2gb)
sam 830 128g ssd
2ea wd3200aakx
msi gt n730-2gd5lp/oc
chiefmax 650 watt about 10+yrs old? Dormant/spare most of life.
mid tower
win10 pro 64 all updated

Everything works great until I plug in either a gt710 which works great in another box or this new gt730. Board not found when driver tries to install. Basic RGB works on GT730 when bios switched to PCI video for startup. Device manager shows a new 'PCI to PCI bridge' w/o a driver, but driver not accepted. All 3 regular PCI tp PCI bridges are healthy whether board installed or not. Everything back to normal - great - when board removed. Same symptoms in either PCI slot (blue -x16 or orange - x8). Updated BIOS to be sure all is latest. Everything is suppose to be compatible.

Jul 23, 2019
As expected! Sorry.
AMD PhenomII x4 90watt w/heat pipe heatsink
gigabyte ga-ma790gp-ud4h
8gig ddr2 (4x2gb)
sam 830 128g ssd
2ea wd3200aakx
msi gt n730-2gd5lp/oc
chiefmax 650 watt about 10+yrs old? Dormant/spare most of life.
mid tower
win10 pro 64 all updated

Everything works great until I plug in either a gt710 which works great in another box or this new gt730. Board not found when driver tries to install. Basic RGB works on GT730 when bios switched to PCI video for startup. Device manager shows a new 'PCI to PCI bridge' w/o a driver, but driver not accepted. All 3 regular PCI tp PCI bridges are healthy whether board installed or not. Everything back to normal - great - when board removed. Same symptoms in either PCI slot (blue -x16 or orange - x8). Updated BIOS to be sure all is latest. Everything is suppose to be compatible.

OK! I found and fixed this problem. I decided to check windows update just to be sure, but the updates would not install - errors. Long story short, I reloaded win 10 through the website problem solving process and the problems went away - latest (same but healthy) version AOK. installed the graphics board and updated the driver and all is well again. That was a strange set of symptoms, but perseverance won the day. Thanks folks! Gotta watch my C: SSD for problems now.