Question 3080 underperforming. Please help :c

May 31, 2022
I've recently got myself a new rig

RTX 3080 10GB OC LHR from Gigabyte
Intel Core i5 12600K
32GB DDR4 RAM

And all I've been spending my last few days was trying to figure out why it seems that most of the games I played on it seems to run poorly :/
Be it Apex or Fortnite, my fps just doesn't feel right.

I've done a DDU safe mode uninstal/reinstall of latest drivers, with multiple different settings i've found on this forum and youtube

I guess my question would be ; Is there a good benchmark software where I can compare my results with people who have similar rigs?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I've recently got myself a new rig

RTX 3080 10GB OC LHR from Gigabyte
Intel Core i5 12600K
32GB DDR4 RAM

And all I've been spending my last few days was trying to figure out why it seems that most of the games I played on it seems to run poorly :/

I've done a DDU safe mode uninstal/reinstall of latest drivers, with multiple different settings i've found on this forum and youtube

I guess my question would be ; Is there a good benchmark software where I can compare my results with people who have similar rigs?

Thank you in advance!
Did you start with a clean OS install to go with the new hardware ?

May 31, 2022
Did you start with a clean OS install to go with the new hardware ?

Yes, everything was basically new and from the store, with the windows license as well.
I've had the computer for some time now and I've come to the point of maybe even reinstalling the OS and go thru pain of setting all the apps etc.

May 31, 2022
Unfortunately, no. Overclocking has skewed averages across all of them.
That's a shame, but still, i think i should be getting more then 59 frames in Apex when looking in the center of the map from the ship with all the details put to low, performance settings turned on with the resolution of 2560x1440... I... I sh-should, r-right guys?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I suppose so? I don't play Apex.
Have you been monitoring core temperatures, gpu core, gpu hot spot, memory junction? [HWINFO]
Tried to run the game on a different drive - if you have one?
Is the the gpu boosting normally, and not stuck at a low frequency?

If I was to guess I'd say in-game settings (or ini/config settings) are probably the culprit. How about some baselines? Please post your Time Spy score.

Remember that posted benchmarks/gaming FPS scores are usually the top .1%. They are not the norm - they are the outlier.
No one's going to post 'meh' benchmarks/gaming FPS videos. Benchers/reviewers tweak, bench, tweak, bench, tweak, bench, etc., until they get a score that they deem 'worthy' and only then does it gets posted. These are usually people who work with technology for a living and know the ins and outs of settings and components. Many of them also know how to 'cheat' the system by running the benchmarks with unrealistic settings. They change everything from CPU priority, to benchmark config changes, to doing borderless/alt tab crap. In short, don't worry about hitting published benchmark numbers.

May 31, 2022
I suppose so? I don't play Apex.
Have you been monitoring core temperatures, gpu core, gpu hot spot, memory junction? [HWINFO]
Tried to run the game on a different drive - if you have one?
Is the the gpu boosting normally, and not stuck at a low frequency?
I've just downloaded it and saved the logfile after playing a game of Apex, but I don't know how to read it...
If anyone could help I'd appreciate it very much. btw im not sure what website is the best to upload it

May 31, 2022
If I was to guess I'd say in-game settings (or ini/config settings) are probably the culprit. How about some baselines? Please post your Time Spy score.

Remember that posted benchmarks/gaming FPS scores are usually the top .1%. They are not the norm - they are the outlier.
No one's going to post 'meh' benchmarks/gaming FPS videos. Benchers/reviewers tweak, bench, tweak, bench, tweak, bench, etc., until they get a score that they deem 'worthy' and only then does it gets posted. These are usually people who work with technology for a living and know the ins and outs of settings and components. Many of them also know how to 'cheat' the system by running the benchmarks with unrealistic settings. They change everything from CPU priority, to benchmark config changes, to doing borderless/alt tab crap. In short, don't worry about hitting published benchmark numbers.

I have these scores in Heaven Benchmark https://serving.photos.photobox.com...94d26dc959cc7fdb06077abf97263720e527e8d06.jpg

Edit; the 3d mark one is pretty big filesize, but if that's what is needed i'll download it again and try that route

This isn't bad for that GPU/CPU combo. Time spy top results - Search (3dmark.com)
You're a little lower than average but note that people who use Time Spy to benchmark WILL have average scores ABOVE the general population average, since many are tweakers, overclockers, reviewers, etc.

Download and run Userbenchmark and post the link to those results too.

May 31, 2022
Your GPU does seem to be underperforming slightly.

Do some heavy gaming at max visual settings, while running HWiNFO64 (sensors only, logging on) for at least 20 mins.
When done, go through the log file and/or upload it somewhere that we can grab it to have a look.

Edit - Oh, also, it appears that your CPU is throttling.
Still, go through the HWiNFO64 logging. That will help pinpoint the issue(s).

Last edited:

force no supersampling, no anisotrophy in nv control panel on benchmarks which uses them boost score by quite a bit and you get legit result on 3d mark also toying with windows timers also affect benchmarks as you get there longer seconds to draw more frames (per "second"), yes there are cheaters xD

May 31, 2022

Do some heavy gaming at max visual settings, while running HWiNFO64 (sensors only, logging on) for at least 20 mins.
When done, go through the log file and/or upload it somewhere that we can grab it to have a look.

I'd say it's more then slightly since when looking at this example of similar rig the fps is doubled, my rig can pull up around 60 fps in the same scene, with all settings set to low, that's why it's mind-boggling to me

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CPyobJhOF8&t=163s

Last edited:
May 31, 2022

Tried doing that with apex on max settings, game crashed twice, both times two different error messages, but this was the last one. Im thinking of doing maybe a clean install of OS

View: https://imgur.com/a/2m6aSFZ

DSzymborski

Titan
You said "from the store." Was this a prebuilt? It says that the CPU is throttling, which is also sometimes a characteristic of prebuilts, which frequently use substandard, propietary parts, from motherboards to cooling to cases (not to mention PSUs, which is a different issue).

I think it's beyond time to get all the specs, not just the GPU, motherboard, and a vague description of the RAM.

May 31, 2022
Did what?
Your ubm link is the same one you showed at the start.
Oops copied the wrong link ; https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/52944322

You said "from the store." Was this a prebuilt? It says that the CPU is throttling, which is also sometimes a characteristic of prebuilts, which frequently use substandard, propietary parts, from motherboards to cooling to cases (not to mention PSUs, which is a different issue).

I think it's beyond time to get all the specs, not just the GPU, motherboard, and a vague description of the RAM.
It wasn't prebuilt, I meant I've bought the pieces individually.

View: https://imgur.com/a/BoOBIOa

Could this be enough ?