Question why does most of my games crash on my hard drive but when I move them to another one they work fine?

Jezreel101

Prominent
Dec 21, 2019
Hello everyone! I have a 500 gb HDD drive that have plenty of space but can't use because every time I put a game onto that drive its always crashing my games 90% of the time and sometimes make my game real
ly laggy. why is that happening?

Last edited:
the drive in question has 26,000+ hours, the equivalent of 9+ years of 8 hours per day operation....

Assuming you've ruled out problematic SATA ports/cables, certainly simply getting another drive or, better yet, a 500 GB SSD, would seem the next step.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
So what will defrag do to the HDD?
Defragmenting the drive will optimize the way your data is arranged on the disk. This will speed up read and write operation, load data with less stress on the head and, hopefully, improve loading of game data to the extent that crashes are minimized.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Some third-party defragging programs not only defrag each file, but also have the option to place all files in a contiguous mass at the beginning of a partition. This is the fastest part of a partition in an HDD (SSDs are different).

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS