[SOLVED] Why does my 10yo middle-of-the-road computer run faster than my new higher performance computer?

Gymjunkie

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017
I obviously messed something up somewhere when building this computer over the last several days but I haven't the slightest idea where to even start.

The biggest proof my new one is slower is when I am using Photoshop, for example when I go to move one of the layers it lags big time as if I have several major programs running as well. I get the same extreme lag even in just Microsoft Paint. Planoly and Postfity (content scheduling websites for Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram) now take 8-20 seconds to upload a single post (quickly adds up when scheduling 200+ posts).

Task Manager shows I am using only 2%-4% CPU and 25% memory.

Windows 10 Pro
CPU- AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Storage- Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen4
Motherboard- ASRock X570 Taichi
GPU- AMD Radeon RX 5700XT
Memory- 64gigs G.Skill Trident Z Neo

My old computer is just an i5-2400k running on 2.5" Kingston SSDs but it runs everything faster. Could I have overlooked something?

Solution
(though for some reason my GPU didn't come with a driver disk, which I thought was odd)
Optical media is pretty much obsolete anymore. I am assuming you got the AMD graphics driver online?
I was reading that Ryzen Balanced Power is making very little difference anymore , so little that most people can't notice any difference, and the thread I read this on was from 2 years ago. Would probably especially be for me as as well as my CPU is not OCed at all. Have things changed for this program that would make it more beneficial for me?
That was 2 years ago. New Ryzen 3000 CPUs are fundamentally different and Ryzen balanced can help your CPU to turbo properly when needed, and the CPU to idle when not needed. Try Ryzen...

Gymjunkie

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017
You forgot an important part of your build. The PSU. Please tell me which brand and model you have.

What are your temps at idle and load on the CPU and GPU?

All drivers up to date including Windows updates?

Seasonic Focus GX-750 lol

CPU idle: 39-41c

GPU idle: 40c-55c

Not sure how to check them under major load or anything. Google just kept showing me how to monitor performance. One link came back here but had a warning it could damage the system.

Windows had an update (it didn't inform me, so thank you) but just everything else is up to date.

Seasonic Focus GX-750 lol

CPU idle: 39-41c

GPU idle: 40c-55c

Not sure how to check them under major load or anything. Google just kept showing me how to monitor performance. One link came back here but had a warning it could damage the system.

Windows had an update (it didn't inform me, so thank you) but just everything else is up to date.

Lets see how well your system is running. It will help seeing how your hardware is running compared to the million of people doing the same benchmark.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/

Click at the top on "Free Download". This is a small benchmark program. Please close down everything before running this. Browsers, programs etc. After the benchmark please link your results.

Gymjunkie

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017
Lets see how well your system is running. It will help seeing how your hardware is running compared to the million of people doing the same benchmark.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/

Click at the top on "Free Download". This is a small benchmark program. Please close down everything before running this. Browsers, programs etc. After the benchmark please link your results.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23268766

I also had to just now force close Google Chrome because it froze. 2nd or 3rd time since I started using this computer a few days ago.

Gymjunkie

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017
G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3600 C16 4x16GB
4 of 4 slots used
64GB DIMM DDR4 clocked @ 2133 MHz

Is your RAM running at 2133MHz? What speed are your RAM at right now in your BIOS?

Completely forgot systems don't always automatically give you the advertised speed of some components. I went into Bios, enabled XMP and increased RAM to 3600. I know doing this can cause other components to not run at their previous performance level, but I wasn't expecting my CPU to drop from 91st percentile to 44th. Gaming score and NVMe score dropped as well.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23269854

Did you buy your memory a four stick kit?

2 kits of 2x16gig

Enabling XMP should help. Userbench is kind of random sometimes so can't explain the other faults.

Did you perhaps clone your old drive to new PC? You need a new install.

I would try updating latest bios, update to latest chipset drivers, and put windows into ryzen balanced power management mode.

Gymjunkie

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017
Enabling XMP should help. Userbench is kind of random sometimes so can't explain the other faults.

Did you perhaps clone your old drive to new PC? You need a new install.

I would try updating latest bios, update to latest chipset drivers, and put windows into ryzen balanced power management mode.

I made sure to enable XMP when I checked on the speed of the RAM so that part is already taken care of. The only thing used I added to this computer was my old DVD drive and that's just because I needed it to make getting drivers installed quicker (though for some reason my GPU didn't come with a driver disk, which I thought was odd). Other than that the PC is 100% brand new.

Looking in System Info I see my current version of Bios is "American Megatrends Inc. P2.00, 8/21/2019" and the most recent one came out December 9th so I may need to do this.

Trying to check on the status of my chipset drivers but I can't seem to locate it (hence the almost hour delay in responding). I am in Device Manager under View < Devices by Type but I can't locate anything about chipsets.

I was reading that Ryzen Balanced Power is making very little difference anymore , so little that most people can't notice any difference, and the thread I read this on was from 2 years ago. Would probably especially be for me as as well as my CPU is not OCed at all. Have things changed for this program that would make it more beneficial for me?

Mixed kits can often cause issues like this (even if they are the same make/model) . Try running your system with just 2 matched sticks and see if it helps; usually this means using the 2nd of fourth slots.

I remember reading that awhile ago as well, I just never had this issue myself even when purchasing a second kit years after the first kit (current kits were bought the same day) . I will have to give this a try when I have the opportunity.

It's one of those issues that's not a problem until it is :) I experienced it with my old Dell Insprion. It would go through times of 3-4 blue screens in a row and then settle down for weeks, than the problem would crop up again. I replaced the RAM with a kit and haven't had a problem since.

(though for some reason my GPU didn't come with a driver disk, which I thought was odd)
Optical media is pretty much obsolete anymore. I am assuming you got the AMD graphics driver online?
That was 2 years ago. New Ryzen 3000 CPUs are fundamentally different and Ryzen balanced can help your CPU to turbo properly when needed, and the CPU to idle when not needed. Try Ryzen balanced. It might take you like 5 minutes.
Trying to check on the status of my chipset drivers but I can't seem to locate it (hence the almost hour delay in responding). I am in Device Manager under View < Devices by Type but I can't locate anything about chipsets.
The chipset driver is included in the "AMD all in 1" package available Here.
The BIOS update is available on this page aswell.
I remember reading that awhile ago as well, I just never had this issue myself even when purchasing a second kit years after the first kit (current kits were bought the same day) . I will have to give this a try when I have the opportunity.
Definately do. I have seen 2 g.skill kits of same speed and timings but different capacity cause issues in my system. Even identicaly part number kits can have issues running together.

Just a note, BIOS updates often improve memory compatability, so try updating BIOS first.

Solution

Gymjunkie

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017
Mostly thought it was odd since the manual told me to insert the included driver disk lol. Yes I did get it online and it is now installed.

That was 2 years ago. New Ryzen 3000 CPUs are fundamentally different and Ryzen balanced can help your CPU to turbo properly when needed, and the CPU to idle when not needed. Try Ryzen balanced. It might take you like 5 minutes.
Sounds good, I will download that today.

The chipset driver is included in the "AMD all in 1" package available Here.
The BIOS update is available on this page aswell.
I will also get to this today as well. Hopefully it also fixes my bluetooth problem of it randomly turning on and off all damn.
EDIT: The Bios update would be the "Restart to UEFI Ver:1.0.6" correct?

Just a note, BIOS updates often improve memory compatability, so try updating BIOS first.
Will do

another thing to check is did you install a fresh version of windows on your new PC or did you just transfer your windows install from your old PC to your new one?
The only thing in this build that was used is the dvd drive, absolutely everything else was brand new

As CaptainCharisma above, is it a fresh install?
Are all drivers, including mobo drivers, installed?
All the drivers should be installed by now

Last edited: