Question Why does my 7900xtx run below expectations

Mar 4, 2023
Running computer benchmark my gpu had below average score of 17 percent.
It's also creating high pitch noises, iw something wrong with it.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
If the PSU's been in service for a while(and/or recycled), please add the age f the unit apart from it's make and model.

If the GPU mentioned in the thread's title is an upgrade, what did you upgrade from?

Mar 30, 2023
Hi,

I've just built myself a new PC, and I've started testing and I gotta admit I'm pretty disappointed about the gaming/FPS perfs.
CPU: i5 13600K stock (no OC)
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 (with LGA1700 adapter)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI
Ram: 2x16GB DDR5 6000Mhz (but throttled down to 5600 due to the CPU not being able to handle more, at least that's what Intel says on the product page) cas36
SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus M2 NVMe 2TB
GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX MERC 310 Speedster
PSU: Corsair RM1000e
Chassis: Corsair 400R
Monitors: Dell G3223Q (primary - native 4K, 144hz, FreeSync ON) connected via HDMI 2.1 - Acer Predator XB271HU (secondary - native 1440p, 144Hz, no VRR) connected via DP
(both connected to the 7900XTX)

Now to be fair I've only tested with COD cold war Zombie (Die Maschine solo map if anyone wanna replicate the test to the fullest) so far but I'm getting between 60 and 80 fps in high/ultra settings (with rendering/FOV at 100, Ray-tracing in high, and HD textures and models package installed) in 4K, 144hz, fullscreen exclusive (and FreeSync, if relevant), and I expected more to be honest :(
Yet GPU is at 100% and is far from overheating, it's actually surprisingly cold (~60c at 100% charge/load).

However, if I disable Ray-tracing I jump to about 130/140 FPS, without noticing much change in graphics quality (it's the first time I'm experiencing Ray-tracing, never had a GPU supporting it before, so I don't really know what to look at to be honest though).
So I'm wondering if Ray-tracing's worth it?

AMD GPU driver is latest: 23.3.2
AMD Adrenalin profile is set on "Gaming"

MSI Afterburner in-game data screenshot:
https://ibb.co/D5gHLZ2

While I'm there I'd also like to ask if 95c+ is a normal/expected temp for a i5 13600K stock (no OC) in max load (fully stressed via OCCT) while being cooled down by the CPU cooler mentioned above with fans (both) running at max capacity (~1300RPM)?
Same question for ~70/80c in-game?

Hi,

I've just built myself a new PC, and I've started testing and I gotta admit I'm pretty disappointed about the gaming/FPS perfs.
Ram: 2x16GB DDR5 6000Mhz (but throttled down to 5600 due to the CPU not being able to handle more, at least that's what Intel says on the product page) cas36
Monitors: Dell G3223Q (primary - native 4K, 144hz, FreeSync ON) connected via HDMI 2.1 - Acer Predator XB271HU (secondary - native 1440p, 144Hz, no VRR) connected via DP

Now to be fair I've only tested with COD cold war Zombie (Die Maschine solo map if anyone wanna replicate the test to the fullest) so far but I'm getting between 60 and 80 fps in high/ultra settings (with rendering/FOV at 100, Ray-tracing in high, and HD textures and models package installed) in 4K, 144hz, fullscreen exclusive (and FreeSync, if relevant), and I expected more to be honest :(
Yet GPU is at 100% and is far from overheating, it's actually surprisingly cold (~60c at 100% charge/load).

However, if I disable Ray-tracing I jump to about 130/140 FPS, without noticing much change in graphics quality (it's the first time I'm experiencing Ray-tracing, never had a GPU supporting it before, so I don't really know what to look at to be honest though).

While I'm there I'd also like to ask if 95c+ is a normal/expected temp for a i5 13600K stock (no OC) in max load (fully stressed via OCCT) while being cooled down by the CPU cooler mentioned above with fans (both) running at max capacity (~1300RPM)?
7900xtx is not very effective at ray tracing. Not all RT effects are very noticeable. Some make almost no difference. It depends on what the game supports. I believe that particular game is only RT shadows. Some games take advantage of more RT effects ie: Cyberpunk at the cost of framerates.

That temp with that cooler running stress test is normal.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023
Thanks a lot for the prompt and reassuring answer drivinfast247!

And you are right, COD cold war RT is mainly (if not exclusively) shadows, hence why I don't notice much difference I guess.

Since you seem to be quite knowledgeable I'll throw a few more questions at you if you don't mind:
I know it's hard to say for sure but do you think I can decrease the CPU temp by much by replacing my old Noctua NHU12P SE2 CPU cooler with a Noctua NH15?
And would that allow me to OC a bit you think (using MSI OC Genie as I don't know how myself)?
Or can I already OC in my current config with the temps mentioned previously you think?
Is it even worth to OC at all with my config?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the prompt and reassuring answer drivinfast247!

And you are right, COD cold war RT is mainly (if not exclusively) shadows, hence why I don't notice much difference I guess.

Since you seem to be quite knowledgeable I'll throw a few more questions at you if you don't mind:
I know it's hard to say for sure but do you think I can decrease the CPU temp by much by replacing my old Noctua NHU12P SE2 CPU cooler with a Noctua NH15?
And would that allow me to OC a bit you think (using MSI OC Genie as I don't know how myself)?
Or can I already OC in my current config with the temps mentioned previously you think?
Is it even worth to OC at all with my config?
Installing a more capable cooler will allow the CPU to boost higher automagically. You'd have minimum, barely noticeable gain in fps via OC.

What are your in-game temps?

Mar 30, 2023
FYI, I tested with BF5 this time, still in 4K, 144hz, fullscreen exclusive, ultra settings, including Ray-tracing, and it runs at 144FPS locked (so actually even higher), with a 1080p youtube video running on my second screen!
so it looks like COD cold war is just optimized with the ass RT wise...

No, RT is really not worth it. The RX 7900 XTX is actually quite effective at ray-tracing with performance somewhere between that of the RTX 3090 and RTX 3090 Ti (IIRC). What you're seeing when you turn RT on is the reason that I couldn't care less about it, it doesn't really do much. It's certainly not worth the hit to performance or the hit to your wallet. I would just leave it turned off if I were you. Enjoying the true power of any video card means never turning RT on. It's still just a gimmick that nVidia uses to try and justify their "You have got to be kidding me!" levels of pricing.

I have a friend who owns an RTX 3080 (because he's an FS2020 nut) and I asked him about RT. He was very unimpressed with it and after demonstrating it to me, I was equally unimpressed. I had tried it on my RX 6800 XT but I couldn't really tell one way or the other. I thought that maybe there was something different about nVidia's implementation of it but, nope, RT on the RTX 3080 looks just as unimpressive as it did on my RX 6800 XT (and every other card).

That's about all that I can tell you about the RX 7900 XTX. As for why it's doing what it's doing, I don't really know.

Reactions: PEnns and mike8877
Mar 30, 2023
Going back to in-game CPU temps, I'm getting between 80 and 92c in BF5 4K 144hz ultra settings 144FPS locked, yet the CPU is only at about 30%, room's ambiant temp is 20c.
That seems a bit hot to me, isn't it?
I'm worried that when summer hits I might have issues, what do you guys think please?

KyaraM

Admirable
Hi,

So you run RT on a Radeon card, in 4k at max settings, and wonder why you don't get 100+FPS? Those cards have the RT performance of last gen Nvidia cards, and RT is very hard on the hardware. Be happy you even get over 60 FPS... RT is a performance hog.

About the cooler, well, with that one 95°C are to be expected with that CPU... it needs a BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro or NH-D15 minimum to run cool. If you don't want to upgrade the cooler, you have to undervolt the CPU. Thankfully that's not very hard on that board. Oh, also, make sure Creator Genie is tuened off. Also, you can run your RAM at 6000MHz, 5600 is only what is guaranteed by Intel, not a hard cap. My 12700K, which is very similar to your CPU, runs at DDR4-3600 while officially the CPU can handle 3200. It's usually not a problem, just try it out. If it doesn't work, simply revert back.

Reactions: mike8877
Mar 30, 2023
Thanks KyaraM, good to know!

As said before I actually think it's also greatly due to COD cold war being very poorly optimized because I run BF5 in ultra, including RT, and I get over 144FPS.

I'm receiving my new Noctua NH-D15 today, I'll see if I gain much CPU temp or not and will let you guys know.

Yeah, you are right 'cause my RAM is currently running at 6000Mhz.

Reactions: drivinfast247
Mar 30, 2023
Ok, I've installed the NH-D15 and I've reduced my temp's my ~20c, this <Mod Edit> is insane!
I'm now at 80c max with stress test from OCCT, I was at 100c before.
and between 65 and 75c in BF5 whereas I was between 80 and 95c previously.
I think it also might have been due to not having enough thermal paste, I've been applying the equivalent of a rice grain of thermal paste on the middle of CPUs for about 20years with no issue but apparently those LGA1700 CPUs require a bit more, even Noctua in their installation manual advise to apply dots of paste at each corner of the CPU on top of the usual rice grain in the middle, which I did and it's done the job :)

Thanks everyone for your help!

Last edited by a moderator: