Question Why does my audio drop or sometimes surge?

May 12, 2019
I have a sound system at my business. This is how it is setup:

1. A smartphone turns on automatically every morning and launches TuneIn Radio app and starts playing music.

2. The smartphone is connected to a stereo receiver. The stereo receiver is plugged into a timer and turns on automatically about 10 minutes after the smartphone.

3. The stereo receiver is connected to four ceiling speakers.

Notes: the stereo receiver will only be compatible with the smartphone on the Phono mode of the receiver. This has been the case on multiple stereo receivers over the years. Trying the smartphone on CD or tape mode with the stereo receiver wont output audio to the speakers.

Problems: the audio plays fine but sometimes it becomes virtuallly unhearable for several minutes before coming back. On another stereo receiver the audio surges high instead of going silent. So much so that you can hear the ceiling speakers make odd noises.

My thoughts: i used to think that the timer on the stereo receiver would, overtime, damage the receiver because it is like pulling the plug out every night. But i tried that other receiver and it surges high. That one was never on a timer but it was a used purchase because i need receivers that have phono mode. I've changed receivers over the years thinking they wear out from daily use giving these problems. But i dont know anymore.

I think these issues might be from the way the speakers are connected. There is an option for 8 ohms or 16 ohms on the receiver. I use the 8 ohms connections because to use 16 i would need 8 speakers to fill all the connections. There are two wires that each split into two, for a total of four speaker connections. I plug the ones with the white lines into the red terminals and the solid colour into the black terminals.

I would appreciate any ideas. I'm not an audio guy.

I have a sound system at my business. This is how it is setup:

1. A smartphone turns on automatically every morning and launches TuneIn Radio app and starts playing music.

2. The smartphone is connected to a stereo receiver. The stereo receiver is plugged into a timer and turns on automatically about 10 minutes after the smartphone.

3. The stereo receiver is connected to four ceiling speakers.

Notes: the stereo receiver will only be compatible with the smartphone on the Phono mode of the receiver. This has been the case on multiple stereo receivers over the years. Trying the smartphone on CD or tape mode with the stereo receiver wont output audio to the speakers.

Problems: the audio plays fine but sometimes it becomes virtuallly unhearable for several minutes before coming back. On another stereo receiver the audio surges high instead of going silent. So much so that you can hear the ceiling speakers make odd noises.

My thoughts: i used to think that the timer on the stereo receiver would, overtime, damage the receiver because it is like pulling the plug out every night. But i tried that other receiver and it surges high. That one was never on a timer but it was a used purchase because i need receivers that have phono mode. I've changed receivers over the years thinking they wear out from daily use giving these problems. But i dont know anymore.

I think these issues might be from the way the speakers are connected. There is an option for 8 ohms or 16 ohms on the receiver. I use the 8 ohms connections because to use 16 i would need 8 speakers to fill all the connections. There are two wires that each split into two, for a total of four speaker connections. I plug the ones with the white lines into the red terminals and the solid colour into the black terminals.

I would appreciate any ideas. I'm not an audio guy.

This doesn't sound correct at all. Can you post a picture?