Question Why does my brothers pc feel faster/smoother than mine, even tho we have similar specs.

AaronTheTossa

Reputable
Oct 27, 2016
So, basically me and my brother have the same PC but his specs are a little bit better than mine. Just browsing on google, changing tabs, scrolling through YouTube, going through file explorer, everything feels 100% smoother on his PC.

Here are the specs:

GPU: Me, 1060, him, 1070
CPU: Me i76700, him i5-8400
RAM: Both 16 gb 2133 mhz
Same monitor both at 144hz
Both have SSD but his is a lot better than mine (could be potential reason but I don't think SSD effects performance that much)
both have HDD

He hasn't changed any settings since getting the PC (we got the PC from the same place) I tried resetting my whole PC and it doesn't help, I've tried following Windows 10 performance enhancing videos on YouTube to tweak settings etc but to no avail.

Any ideas?

AaronTheTossa

Reputable
Oct 27, 2016
What are the ssd's in question.
Is yours near full, like 90%?
I would suspect the difference is there.

Brothers processor is a touch faster, both in single thread performance and in total, but not so much that you should notice.
What are the ssd's in question.
Is yours near full, like 90%?
I would suspect the difference is there.

Brothers processor is a touch faster, both in single thread performance and in total, but not so much that you should notice.
I have <Mod Edit> kingston ssd 120gb and his is a crucial ssd, 500gb. Not sure what the models are.
edit: I have a KINGSTON SUV400S37120G 120gb and brothers got a Crucial_CT525MX300SSD1 500gb

Last edited by a moderator: