Question why does my computer hardware crash?

paulmars

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Im not sure crash is the proper term.

while using computer screen goes dark. Power light says lit. After several minutes I press-hold power button and after 5 seconds it powers down. I restart. It takes a very long time to boot up, then all is ok for months.

This has occurred a total of 3 times in the past 6 months.

I dont have any new apps or drivers installed that i know of.

I dont remember exactly what I was doing. It was either in my email app or reading something on the net or watching a video. I dont remember if it was triggered by an action on my part like a click or keystroke.

I didnt know if this is just an issue with monitor or with the actual computer.

So then I memorized keystrokes to power down the computer. I've been using those every time i turn off my computer since that 2nd occurrence above.

Months later while watching a video, it happened a 3rd time. I was 10 feet away and this long video is almost complete. The screen goes blank and this time the audio changes to a buzz-hum and does not stop. After a minute of no video and that constant buzz-hum I tried my shutdown keystrokes and that didnt work. After another minute i tried again. Nope, i cant shut down the computer. So, it's not just a monitor issue.

The next boot up took a long time. (maybe because of improper shutdown?)

That was several weeks ago and I'm still using the keystrokes to shut down my computer.

Ideas?

HP 24-e025t all in one.
Win 10

Thanks, paul:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:🤢

paulmars

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Btw those r not my faces. As i tried to proof this the page keep moving uncontrollably and url tags kept opening, so not wanting to loose what i typed, i posted it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Agreed. An all in one PC likely has a fairly small power supply. (65W in this case) Any interruption in power, not long enough to cause noticeable issues in simpler electronics, could trigger restarts and crashes.

Not to mention that no computer is perfect, they do crash sometimes.

Given that it is an OEM computer, you also likely have a lot of HP bloatware installed. Remove any HP specific application that you don't actually use. OEMs are not well known for their software maintenance.

Reactions: Ralston18

Ralston18

Titan
Will add the suggestion that you also take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just prior to or at the time of the crashes.

Start with the more user friendly Reliability History. The time line format can be very revealing showing, for example, when a particular error first started appearing and/or perhaps some pattern of events.

May well be bloatware related. Look for errors that mention HP or some other running process. HP or otherwise.

Also helpful: Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

paulmars

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
My hdd was running hot & it's been 2 years since i last reinstalled win10.

Attachment shows my new hdd mount. Then I reinstalled win10.

I started a new thread titled "win10 installation issues.