Question Why does my computer keep locking up or restarting?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 31, 2019
Greetings, I just build a new computer, everything seems great, except at random times it will just completely restart, or lock up with a horrible static through the speakers. Today I was watching Twitch, and did nothing but click on the volume to turn it up, and it restarts. Doesn't do this all the time, seems completely random. I've updated all the drivers, like Google said, but I have no idea why it keeps happening. A friend told me I should post it here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm really new to computer building, so if I've neglected to put any relevant information in here, I apologize in advance.

Dec 31, 2019
If you mean psu yes,you cannot just use cables from another psu unless the same model.

It's the exact same model, I thought it might be the PSU, so I contacted Corsair and they did a warranty replacement. It's the same everything, just a different part (thinking the old part was faulty, which it seems not to be.)

I was just wondering if the fault could be in the lines from the PSU, and not the PSU itself.

Dec 31, 2019
Well, Good news and bad news. I thought I had screwed up the wiring, i found a better schematic, and wired everything right, and i switched the PSU and all the cables to that, I thought maybe my bad wiring (to the motherboard, some of the wires to the tower functions specifically) were at fault, so I was very excited to try it again. Sadly, It happened again. I got a bit of a video of what it sounded like and the screen looked like. Never had the screen distort like this before, but the sounds were similar.

Dec 31, 2019
Looks like gpu,any chance you can test with another one?

yeah, I borrowed a really good one from a friend of mine, Nvidia 108 TI. Did it once again this morning. I've got an e-mail in to Asus, who created my Mother Board describing the problem, and all the steps I've already done to figure out how to fix it. Another friend of mine said it might be a Motherboard Chip-set issue?

Dec 31, 2019
I have tried with different cables, the new PSU came with a fresh set of cables which I am using now. I have tried re-seating the RAM, not a completely new set. I do still have the DDR3 ram from my other computer. I could probably swap them out and see if it helps. Will let you know :)

Dec 31, 2019
Greetings, So, I finally figured out what the problem was it seems. Figured since you were all so helpful, i thought I would at least let you know.

Turns out, it was a problem between the drivers on my GPU, and CAD, my work's house drawing program. Turns out that the drivers I had downloaded (and had completely updated) was for "gaming", and there was some kind of hidden "media driver" option out there. Since I uninstalled CAD, I've not had a problem whatsoever, and then i was told about the Driver thing, and i installed the media drivers, and it's happened a couple times, but no where near as bad as it was, and as long as I save sometimes while I am drawing for work, it's pretty much fine. It just happens when I've not saved and put a lot of drawing in usually. So, it seems that was the problem.

I wanted to thank everyone who was helping on this. I really appreciate your time, and figured the update would be welcome, and perhaps if someone else has the same kinds of issues, that might be a place to look.

Reactions: Vic 40