Question Why does my computer randomly restart?

ry4ntd

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Recently had to move apartments, and the tower may have gotten dinged somehow. Computer was not randomly restarting before, now it is. I have reseated all connections (aside from thermal paste), and run OCCT tests I can provide. All seems well, but the computer has randomly restarted multiple times. Can be idling or it has done it when opening a new chrome tab and when opening up World of Warcraft. Will providing the OCCT test logs help diagnose? Any help would be much appreciated!!

BTW - is this the right forum?

My Specs
Geforce GTX 1070
Corsair Force LE SSD
i7-7700k @ 4.2Ghz

Last edited:

ry4ntd

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hi guys, thought it had fixed itself b/c the computer stayed on for days without restarting, then I was playing Hades last night and it restarted.

Thanks for responding - to answer your questions - @rgd1101 and @Remeca I did open it up and reset all connections, including reseating the RAM. I do not have an extra PSU to test with.

Like I said in my first post, I've done a number of OCCT tests that did not cause the computer to restart. This includes PSU testing. Are there any other tests I can perform to give me some indication of what's going on here? Any help would be appreciated!

So... It a bit of a tough one.
Usually its either a PSU problem (like a pin connected badly, it can be 24 pin connector, or an other for that matter.... I would assume first that it is either over current protection or something similar).
So I would disconnect everything and check ALL pin connectors, one by one to see if any of them is bent, pushed in too far or something similar.

Or it can be a Windows issue (but then youd get probably a BSOD from time to time).

The power surge protector might be an issue if its a bad one (those cheap power surge protectors have issues in a few cases, ive runned into static on my laptop screen to bad audio on speakers when i was using a very cheap power surge protector).

ry4ntd

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hi, so I checked everything. Is my mobo power connector supposed to be missing a pin like in attached pic? Otherwise I’m not seeing anything borked. I even swapped out my power cord, still no luck.

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/xHy2gZx

Should I try reformatting? And if that doesn’t work, what are next steps? What’s a cheap PSU I could buy to test if that’s the problem do you guys think?

Last edited:

ry4ntd

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Sorry - I posted this on the wrong thread! lol see below

PSU is not it nor is a loosened cable, I replaced it. Comp was nice enough to wait for the end of my Teamfight Tactics game though, I was just picking around on my desktop when it restarted this time, and the restarts appear to be more frequent right now with the new PSU. What's my next option? Mobo? i feel like i replaced this one and my CPU recently for a similar issue, so annoyed.

shivkumar34

Prominent
Jun 18, 2018
Hardware failure or system instability can cause the computer to reboot automatically. The problem could be in the RAM, Hard Drive, Power Supply, Graphic Card or External devices: – or it could be an overheating or BIOS issue. This post will help you if your computer freezes or reboots due to Hardware issues.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Hardware failure or system instability can cause the computer to reboot automatically. The problem could be in the RAM, Hard Drive, Power Supply, Graphic Card or External devices: – or it could be an overheating or BIOS issue. This post will help you if your computer freezes or reboots due to Hardware issues.
Very generic and applies to every problem posted here .....