[SOLVED] Why Does my computer restart

Oct 17, 2019
So occassionly my screen will just go black and the computer will restart instantly,i've checked everything and everything seems to be fine, also when i check reliability history, its just shows a miscellaneous failure "windows did not shut down properly"
Anyone know what the issue might be?

Solution
The temps are fine, I've had this pc for 18 months and it's just started happening recently do you know what it could be or not?

What psu would you recommend anyway?

The PSU could be breaking down or it could be causing damage. This is real junk-tier when talking about a PC full of quality components. It's full of dire third-tier Chinese capacitors and over at JohnnyGuru, Oklahoma Wolf found some pretty horrifying crossload results. You never "know" what the problem is in a situation like this, you can only guess from most likely to least likely. If your temperatures are fine, the PSU is the next culprit even if you have a decent one, which you most certainly do not!

That your PC may have other damage to it as a result...

DSzymborski

Titan
Generally speaking, things like this are either temperature or PSU. Temperature will involve you monitoring with something like HWMonitor.

The next thing to do would be to provide a list of all of your specs. A generic question can only get generic answers!

Oct 17, 2019
Generally speaking, things like this are either temperature or PSU. Temperature will involve you monitoring with something like HWMonitor.

The next thing to do would be to provide a list of all of your specs. A generic question can only get generic answers!

Specs are

Windows 10 pro
i7 8700k cpu
gtx 1080 ti
16gb ddr4 ram
Asus prime z370-p Motherbard

Oct 17, 2019
🤢

A 1080 Ti with a cheapo Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite? If your temperatures are fine, I'd replace this PSU immediately with one of better quality. Honestly, I'd replace this PSU immediately even if the temperatures aren't fine.
The temps are fine, I've had this pc for 18 months and it's just started happening recently do you know what it could be or not?

DSzymborski

Titan

The PSU could be breaking down or it could be causing damage. This is real junk-tier when talking about a PC full of quality components. It's full of dire third-tier Chinese capacitors and over at JohnnyGuru, Oklahoma Wolf found some pretty horrifying crossload results. You never "know" what the problem is in a situation like this, you can only guess from most likely to least likely. If your temperatures are fine, the PSU is the next culprit even if you have a decent one, which you most certainly do not!

That your PC may have other damage to it as a result of the PSU is something that cannot be dismissed at this point, given how long you were "protecting" your components with it.

Generally speaking, the least expensive PSU worth buying tends to be the modern Corsair CX series (so no green letters on the unit, which signifies and older, much inferior platform). With a 1080 Ti and an 8700k to protect, I'd go at least with a Corsair RMx, SeaSonic Focus, or EVGA G2/G3/GS (there are other good ones, but these are solid PSUs that are the easiest to find).

Solution

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
It would most likely be the power supply, wattage isnt everything as some kind soul taught me on here, my pc just recently died after having a new GPU and power supply after two months due to the PSU, Killed everything from the GPU to the CPU, id replace your PSU...

Giannis_Mag

Reputable
May 24, 2017
If it was a temperature problem, it would come out with a blue screen before restarting (most of times). If it restarts suddently is definetely a psu problem. Try use a friends psu or smthing and keep yours out of your system for few days to de-electronize. Then try it again. If its still a problem buy a (80+bronze at least) 650+ watt psu from legit brand