[SOLVED] Why does my computer run ABNORMALLY slow? The specs aren't too bad, or are they?

garrslayer

Reputable
Jun 6, 2016
I'm just trying to figure out what is causing this and I think its just the CPU bottlenecking the system. It runs most of the time at 100% CPU load when playing any games. Occasionally the CPU will get too hot and shut my computer down to prevent damage. I have a Corsair AIO on my CPU so that is odd. I also just put on a new coating of thermal paste but haven't noticed a significant difference.

The Motherboard is AM3 based so I wouldn't be able to upgrade my CPU to a ryzen without upgrading the Motherboard.

My Specs-

AMD FX 8350 () @ 4ghz

MSI GTX 960 4gb GE

AsusTek m5A97 R2.0 Motherboard

750W Corsair PSU

Corsair AIO
: https://www.corsair.com/medias/sys_...59138693150/-CW-9060036-WW-Gallery-H60-01.png

Using a single fan 120mm AIO on a 125w processor is just asking for trouble.
Generally, your lag spikes and shutdows are going to be due to thermal throttling and then thermal shutdown. Until you solve this issue, there is nothing else to do without changing hardware.

Your processor should be okay for MCC, so its probably downclocking under load.
Have you watched your temps using AMD Overdrive (thermal margin)? It is the only reliable way to check FX series temps.

garrslayer

Reputable
Jun 6, 2016
I didn't even know AMD Overdrive was a thing till now. When my CPU overheats it shuts down my PC, when I reboot it takes me to the bios after turning on. It says my CPU is overheated and takes me to the monitor section where I can see the temps. I am downloading Overdrive now.

Solution