Question Why does my computer run terribly (Extreme low fps) at random times?

Apr 30, 2019
Main problem is that my computer, at what seems like random times, turns from going 100+ fps in the majority of games i play to around 15 in what I can only compare to feeling like a switch was turned with how instant it was. I constantly have temperature monitors up on my left monitor so I know nothing is overheating and task manager never says that my cpu or gpu is even being used all the way.

So far I've tried updating drivers and nothing changes the same problem will still happen updateed.
I've rolled back to my last Windows 10 "save" or idk whats called like its current state from a week ago where it deletes everything ive installed in that week.
I have rebooted the PC several times, and get this, I'll reboot and turn it back on in a few hours the problem is still there. Maybe about a day and a half or two days the problem magically disappears and im fine for a few weeks.
I really have no idea what the problem is and im at my absolute lowest point in this and im completely and utterly confused. So if anyone has any questions or are willing to help that'd be so amazing I really need it.

Specs:
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW
CPU: i7-6700
PS: Thermaltake 750 W Gold
RAM: 2x8 Ballistix DDR4
Motherboard: B150 Gaming
Drives:
SSD - 2TB Crucial
HDD - 2TB (idk brand)

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

First while just watching and then while working or gaming.

Look for some app grabbing/holding a resource. Or some bottleneck that develops.

My thought is that some background app is launching and trying to update, backup, "phone home", etc.. Or could be just buggy or corrupt.

May take some effort to familiarize yourself with each tool and learn your way around the presented windows.

So just explore first then methodical start troubleshooting.

Do not immediately react to any given "finding". Work to narrow the issue down and then seek a possible solution.

If you can get to the point where you can make the problem appear and disappear at will. then you most likely have discovered the root cause. E.g., remove some app from Task Manager's Startup tab.

Look in Reliability History/Manager. You may find some error codes and warnings that correspond to the FPS drops.

Especially if intermittent. Is the GPU fully and firmly seated. Check all component for that matter....

Apr 30, 2019
Thanks for responding
  1. I've had it open the majority of the time and even with a game open my cpu and gpu cap out at maybe 38% at the max.
  2. Same with the point before nothing on either Task Manager or Resource Monitor is showing unusually high usage.
  3. I don't know how to check if any of my programs would be updating unless they were using a of my available memory or stuff like that.
  4. I've looked in Reliability History/Manager and nothing seems out of the ordinary beside some minor errors that didn't happen on the dates im having the problem.
  5. The GPU is firmly seated ive checked multiples times along with other components.
Do you know by any chance know where I could start troubleshooting? I know im not really helping the situation by telling you just everything's fine that I know of at least but I'm really just completely lost.

Also, I feel like I should clarify, by random i mean by the weeks. It'll be fine for a few weeks and then bam terrible fps for a couple days, and after constant shutdowns and restarts its back to normal

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

First while just watching and then while working or gaming.

Look for some app grabbing/holding a resource. Or some bottleneck that develops.

My thought is that some background app is launching and trying to update, backup, "phone home", etc.. Or could be just buggy or corrupt.

May take some effort to familiarize yourself with each tool and learn your way around the presented windows.

So just explore first then methodical start troubleshooting.

Do not immediately react to any given "finding". Work to narrow the issue down and then seek a possible solution.

If you can get to the point where you can make the problem appear and disappear at will. then you most likely have discovered the root cause. E.g., remove some app from Task Manager's Startup tab.

Look in Reliability History/Manager. You may find some error codes and warnings that correspond to the FPS drops.

Especially if intermittent. Is the GPU fully and firmly seated. Check all component for that matter....

Oops this is my first time using this site, i forgot about the reply button under your name, but if you could look at what i posted this morning and see if you have any ideas of what it could be that would be helpful. close to 24 hours later and its still slow

Ralston18

Titan
File corruption or some "perfect storm" of bugs.

Try the various built-in windows troubleshooters.

You can also try "sfc /scannow" via the command prompt.

Then consider that the problem could be elsewhere: router perhaps, some network conflict.

Check the router's logs, if avaiable and enabled. There may be some clue therein.

However, you will need to work with whomever has full admin rights to the router.

Consider that there may be a problem with the network infrastructure. Check all connections and cables. Swap out with known working cables. Does not take much of a physical problem to cause intermittent problems while gaming or working.