Question Why does my computer take 30 seconds just to get to the windows logo?

inkydink815

Commendable
Jul 19, 2017
Hey everyone!
I’ve been having this issue for a while. My BIOS flashes a blank screen for about 30 seconds before it even shows the windows logo. I’ve reset it but it hasn’t helped. It’s an ancient board from 2011 or 2012 so there might not be a fix. Here are the specs:
ASUS M5-A99X EVO r1.0
AMD FX-8350, stock speed
PNY NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti
Some cheap power supply from Best Buy
16GG Patriot Signature Line memory 4x4 GB
Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

inkydink815

Commendable
Jul 19, 2017
Set the bios so "Safe defaults", and set every "quick" setting to off. You should see a screen with BIOS information, USB and PCI devices, etc, before Windows logo appears.

And of course, check for BIOS updates at ASUS sute.
Can’t find that option in the BIOS, and I don’t know how to even update the bios.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Its impossible, you have a 860 evo and it took you that long to reach bios screen? my kingston which is way cheaper than yours, boots me into windows within 20 secs without including my password.
Thermaltake power supplies are not always good.
If you had the budget you should've gone with seasonic or even evga,
Or the 2018 CX line from corsair, much better than the old one.

inkydink815

Commendable
Jul 19, 2017
Its impossible, you have a 860 evo and it took you that long to reach bios screen? my kingston which is way cheaper than yours, boots me into windows within 20 secs without including my password.
Thermaltake power supplies are not always good.
If you had the budget you should've gone with seasonic or even evga,
Or the 2018 CX line from corsair, much better than the old one.
Find a 600W PSU with a quiet fan for less than $45. It’s impossible! It will be fine; better than Best Buy at least. I’m just going to give up and buy a new board.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well, you shouldn't cheap out on the power supply and you know that, when your computer just catches on fire don't blame it on anyone else but your self, for buying such a cheap quality power supply.
I sat for 2 months without my gaming pc until i saved up and bought a power supply that has been living since then.

spiketheaardvark

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Older bios(before eufi) motherboards were always rather slow to post. My machine from 2011 takes longer to post than for windows to boot.

You should check the boot order to make sure it's not looking for a disk in an optical drive or attached USB drive before getting to your main SSD. That can add 5-10 second at least. Resetting your bios settings back to defaults might help.