[SOLVED] Why does my computer turn off when I plug something else in!!??

Jul 14, 2020
Problem

Hello there.

I have this weird issue where if I plug something else into the power strip that its running off then it turns off. Sounds like a simple solution: don't plug anything else in but it also seems to randomly do it in the middle of a game when there has been no apparent changes.

More details

When it shuts down it doesn't completely power off its almost like the screen has just gone blank and I have to manually shut it down and restart.

Troubleshooting

I bought a new PSU but that didn't seem to help, I've switched out the strip that its running off but that didn't help either. I've taken all the USB devices out apart from KB and mouse and they are new so probably not the issue. OCCT seems to think that all the temperatures are fine so I think that's probably not the issue. I'm getting a PSU tester but again I doubt that the PSU is the issue

Hardware

PSU: Corsair TX550M
CPU: i5 6600 3.3ghz
memory: 8gb DDR4
GPU: Radeon RX480 4gb
mobo: Asus B150M pro gaming

(I'm skint so can't really afford to buy much. I would be happy to if I knew it would work but the thought of buying a new component only to find that the problem still happens scares me)

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it

Thanks very much

get a new power strip?
If you run the pc from the wall all is fine?

He's tried a new power strip and PSU... That leaves the wall. :D

It sounds like plugging in extra devices causes an inrush that browns out everything on that circuit.

@pepalms : What country are you in and what socket is used on the wall? Is the outlet grounded? What else is in the room that is on the same circuit as the plug that the power strip is plugged into? Do you know the rating of the breaker that this circuit is protected by?

Jul 14, 2020
I'm in the UK its the only socket in the room so quite tricky to test if its OK running from the wall as I need somewhere for the monitor to plug in. I believe it is grounded but it looks like an older socket probably from when the house was built (70s?).

I'm unsure what the rating on the breaker is, any ideas how I could find that out.

Other things that are in the socket are a heated clothes dryer (which was off), monitor and wireless access point.

I was considering the wall socket but I had the same problem in my previous house.

Thanks for the help!

I'm in the UK its the only socket in the room so quite tricky to test if its OK running from the wall as I need somewhere for the monitor to plug in. I believe it is grounded but it looks like an older socket probably from when the house was built (70s?).

I'm unsure what the rating on the breaker is, any ideas how I could find that out.

Other things that are in the socket are a heated clothes dryer (which was off), monitor and wireless access point.

I was considering the wall socket but I had the same problem in my previous house.

Thanks for the help!

Wait.. you had the same problem in your previous house?

Two different power strips?

Two different PSUs?

What is the "something else" you're plugging into the power strip when the PC is running?

Jul 14, 2020
I've tried various things, lamps or a printer, sometimes it not even plugging it into the strip but turning it on at the switch.
Recently I got an Asus screen “Power supply surges detected during the previous power on ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable supply unit.”. But that hasn't happened before

I've tried various things, lamps or a printer, sometimes it not even plugging it into the strip but turning it on at the switch.
Recently I got an Asus screen “Power supply surges detected during the previous power on ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable supply unit.”. But that hasn't happened before

Are you buying decent power strips? Or are you just buying the cheapest power strips available over and over again?

Can you provide a link to the power strip you're using?

Jul 14, 2020
I've tried about 3 but I doubt any of them are top quality (I didn't really know there was a difference). I think this is what I've been using mostly

shorturl.at/sFSUX

Reactions: rgd1101
Solution