[SOLVED] Why does my computer turn on briefly when the power strip is turned on?

Apr 29, 2022
Hi.

I've recently purchased a Dell Vostro 5890 Desktop PC for family use. It is doing something odd. When I turn on the power strip (or, plug it directly in the wall), something inside the case powers on. I hear something click on and a fan spins up, the light on the power button comes on, and the CD light blinks a couple of times. After about a second there is another click, the power button light goes out, and the fan spins down. The Vostro line is marketed as a business computer so, initially I thought that this behavior was business related (e.g. searching for updates to apply, booting from the network, etc.).

I went into the BIOS to see what power related options there were. I turned off/disabled several (e.g. AC Recovery, Power On from USB, Power On from Network). But, nothing stopped the behavior.

I opened a case with Dell asking if this was normal behavior. The analyst had me run diagnostics (which were clean) and then suggested I send the system in for analysis.

This behavior is not causing problems. After it happens I wait a few seconds and then press the power button. The computer starts up normally and stays on all day. My family has reported no problems with it. I really don't want to send the computer into Dell only to find out that it's a non-issue.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this?

Lutfij

Titan
I suspect that the PSU is the issue in your prebuilt, either that or you have a grounding issue in your crib. Might want to see if relocation the prebuilt to another wall socket(even to another crib) and see if the issue reciprocates.

Truth is, the charge by Dell might be ludicrous to diagnose the issue. I'd probably return the system and pick another up.