Why does my core clock on my GTX 1080Ti drop from 2000mhz to 1974mhz

NiBy

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
Why does this happen? my temps don't go above 75c. It is the Aorus 1080ti extreme edition and iv overclocked it which puts the core on 1750mhz instead of 1721 which is it's factory oc. The power and temp limit are at max, Does it have to stay below a certin temp or something?

im using unigine heaven to test.

Solution
As I mentioned in my first post, there is a 3rd reason the clocks drop, and that is usage. If you play a low demanding game, or are already reaching your refresh rate with V-sync on, your clocks will drop, often to their base clocks, as it is not needed to be at max. In a benchmark, that won't likely happen, but it happens a lot in many games.

A few clock points lower, when it already is near max boost frequencies, is not something to be worried about. Most GPU's (probably all with this tech) will do the same. My GTX 1070 does.
there are two main reasons for card to drop the clocks:
1. it exceeds temperature limit
2. it exceeds power limit.
the higher the temps, the more power consumes for the same clocks. so in theory, if you could keep the card at lower temp (lets say under 50C) it might be able to stay at 2000. practically those 26Mhz are giving nothing in terms of performance. more over, in different games you might see different clocks as the load on the card will be different. so just enjoy your card.

NiBy

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

so its nothing to get worked up over? i tested out Sniper ghost warrior 3 which is a pretty unoptimized game. while looking at an outpost my gpu wasnt being fully utilised no where near in fact but the clock was at 2000mhz. so because it wasn't being fully utilised it wasn't using alot of power there for it could stay at 2000mhz

utilization is not showing the whole picture. there are different blocks inside the GPU that responsible for different functions. some of them consume more than others. so even with similar load percentage, the actual load is different and GPU consumes different mount of power. Of course if it's the GPU is not fully utilized it consumes less power.

As I mentioned in my first post, there is a 3rd reason the clocks drop, and that is usage. If you play a low demanding game, or are already reaching your refresh rate with V-sync on, your clocks will drop, often to their base clocks, as it is not needed to be at max. In a benchmark, that won't likely happen, but it happens a lot in many games.

A few clock points lower, when it already is near max boost frequencies, is not something to be worried about. Most GPU's (probably all with this tech) will do the same. My GTX 1070 does.

Solution