Why does my cpu run at 100% all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgf468

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Task master shows 100% CPU usage most of the time with occasional dips to 40,30,or even 5%. These are infrequent. The task master does not indicate any program using that much. In fact, when all of the usages are at 0, the bottom shows CPU 100%. I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 and am using windows 7 32bit. Can anyone help me?

Solution
If you can't see a program using 100% or several programs using a lot of CPU, that usually means you have a virus or some other form of malware that is eating up your CPU time while not appearing in the task manager. I suggest you run a virus scan from safe mode and see if it can find the virus. If virus scans don't find anything and this problem persists, you may want to consider reformating and reinstalling Windows.
If you can't see a program using 100% or several programs using a lot of CPU, that usually means you have a virus or some other form of malware that is eating up your CPU time while not appearing in the task manager. I suggest you run a virus scan from safe mode and see if it can find the virus. If virus scans don't find anything and this problem persists, you may want to consider reformating and reinstalling Windows.

Solution

sgf468

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I thank all of you for trying to help me. I did tab the in the task manager and what I found was the McAffee Virus program I got through AT&T was taking up between 50 and 60% of my CPU capacity. I downloaded another virus program and firewall and did a full scan. No viruses or trojan horses found. Everything is fine now.

Thanks again. You are a great group. I wish I had the expertise that some of you all display.

Status
Not open for further replies.