Question Why does my cpu speed drop?

Dec 20, 2022
Hello everyone, so basically i have this issue with this cpu where when i run cpu-z stress test on the cpu, my clock speed goes from 4.1-4.2 to 4.00-3.9ghz

Now before anyone says its due to heat, ive changed the system to water cooling and monitored temps to be 75-79 degrees when full load, apart from this why is the cpu speed dropping? its kinda annoying..

build:
cpu: AMD ryzen 9 3900x
ram: 32gb vengence ddr 4 3600mhz
GPU 7900xt 20gb
Mobo: gigabyte b450 auros elite

Basically i just want my cpu to be running at 4.2 when im in games like battlefield because when the cpu speed drops, so does my framerate.. Any ideas would be super

Last edited:
Hello everyone, so basically i have this issue with this cpu where when i run cpu-z stress test on the cpu, my clock speed goes from 4.1-4.2 to 4.00-3.9ghz

Now before anyone says its due to heat, ive changed the system to water cooling and monitored temps to be 75-79 degrees when full load, apart from this why is the cpu speed dropping? its kinda annoying..

build:
cpu: AMD ryzen 9 3900x
ram: 32gb vengence ddr 4 3600mhz
GPU 7900xt 20gb
Mobo: gigabyte b450 auros elite

Basically i just want my cpu to be running at 4.2 when im in games like battlefield because when the cpu speed drops, so does my framerate.. Any ideas would be super

Normal behavior for modern processers. Both AMD and Intel cpu's bounce around depending on usage. No worries.

What resolution is your monitor and refresh rate?

While maximum framerates are a top concern for many, the low FPS can result in stutter.

BF2042 has been known to have an issue with high cpu usage, change the core affinity for the game may help with the stutter, worth a shot.

I recently went from a 3800x to a 5800x3d and the major difffernce for me is how smooth the gameplay is. I have a 4070TI with a 1440p monitor and BF2042 runs extremely smooth.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/processor-affinity-windows

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl2LZ6XpUK0

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
"Basically i just want my cpu to be running at 4.2 when im in games like battlefield because when the cpu speed drops, so does my framerate.. Any ideas would be super"

if you want that then you have to overclock from the BIOS settings itself.
otherwise if you rely on motherboard's default overclock parameters you will face that drop in frequency .

Dec 20, 2022
Normal behavior for modern processers. Both AMD and Intel cpu's bounce around depending on usage. No worries.

What resolution is your monitor and refresh rate?

While maximum framerates are a top concern for many, the low FPS can result in stutter.

BF2042 has been known to have an issue with high cpu usage, change the core affinity for the game may help with the stutter, worth a shot.

I recently went from a 3800x to a 5800x3d and the major difffernce for me is how smooth the gameplay is. I have a 4070TI with a 1440p monitor and BF2042 runs extremely smooth.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/processor-affinity-windows

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl2LZ6XpUK0

So, what i found out is it could actually be the motherboard causing it. I have a b450 elite which apparently isn't very good with vrm which can cause the cpu I guess to downplay itself. So, I'm going to change the mobo and see how things pan out. It's worth a shot I guess.

In regards to res and refresh, 1440p and 165 hz

Dec 20, 2022
"Basically i just want my cpu to be running at 4.2 when im in games like battlefield because when the cpu speed drops, so does my framerate.. Any ideas would be super"

if you want that then you have to overclock from the BIOS settings itself.
otherwise if you rely on motherboard's default overclock parameters you will face that drop in frequency .

the issue with this, if i try to overclock the cpu in the bios to run 4.2 the pc wont start and it defaults back to optimised bios settings. But, as i said above, I may have found out its actually the mobo itself thats the issue

For 3000 series Ryzen about 60-62c is temperature where boost starts dropping so those 75-79c are problem. For every degree over 60c there's about 100MHz drop.
That's inherently hot processor and you need some serious cooling for it. Just saying "water cooler" is not enough, which one is it ?

Not Intel nor AMD throttles at 62°C.

As people have stated the chiplets are very small and makes cooling more difficult than cpu's of the past. Intel cpu's are quite similar in this regard as well.
I didn't say "Throttle" that happens at tJmax, just doesn't boost as far and as long, Those are 2 quite different hings, Reason for temperature is irrelevant in this case, all is governed thru CPU algorithm.
With Ryzen 5000 series it's now 90c, in reality just above 85c. depending on stepping and all use same size chiplets and 7nM.

TRENDING THREADS