Question Why does my desktop turn on and off repeatedly? code 55

Oct 5, 2019
Hi,
I bought a gaming PC from someone who built it from scratch. He told me that the PC always had this problem.
The specs are:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.00GHz unlocked
  • RAM: 2x8 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA1151 intel Z170 gaming 7
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 80+ Gold
  • Internal SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
  • Liquid CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro series H100i
  • NZXT phantom ATX full tower case white
  • HDD: 1TB
The problem:
Whenever I remove the power supply cable from the PC. When putting it back in, the PC will turn on and off repeatedly hereby failing to turn on. I then have to press the CMOS switch repeatedly till it turns a red light on the motherboard and it finally boots up the computer.
If after doing this procedure I do not disconnect the current to the PSU, the computer will always start using the power on button as usual.
All of this happens with my two RAM cards placed in slots 3 and 4 (black slots on motherboard).

I read in another forum that the case may be, that the RAM slots are dirty and that I should clean these or try swapping the RAMS into the other slots. So what i did was. I swapped the RAMS to the slots 1 and 2 (red slots on the motherboard). This gave me yet other symptoms.
The symptoms where 5 long beeps and a code 55, and ofcourse the repeated turn on and shutdown.
so i tried the same CMOS switch method, but it does not turn on.

Both of these symptoms I believe to be part of the same underlying problem. I would like to know if anyone has any advice for me or troubleshooting methods i could walkthrough.
Any help will be much appreciated.

PS: I am no computer technician, but I possess basic knowledge to be able to perform some type of troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019
I entered in the command prompt: wmic memorychip get speed. this gave me a speed of 2133MHz on each. The box of the two modules has 3600MHz on it.