[SOLVED] Why does my downloading speed slowly get lower over time?

mandache.eduard48

Prominent
Jul 26, 2018
A lot of time when downloading movies/games/apps I noticed that the speed at which the files download gets lower , usually by a couple Kb/s , until it halves or worse. For example , when I started a download recently everything was nice and good , about 800Kb/s , even let the thing download overnight to make sure it finishes before I finish my business. The next morning I see it still downloading, with ~300 Kb/s. I noticed this mostly on browser downloads. Does it vary from one browser to another? I am using Microsoft Edge at the moment. I also noticed that if I reboot the router / unplug the cable it goes back to the original speed.

Solution
If we ignore bugs in the software there is nothing on your pc that will do that. The methods used by file transfers should always attempt to use the maximum bandwidth. It will vary a bit if it gets errors but it should again try to use the maximum bandwidth.

If it was your pc you would have to have some form of software loaded that is doing that. Some motherboards ship with silly "gamer"" accelerator network firmware these cause all kinds of strange issues.

Otherwise it is something outside your control. Although its been a while since I saw it some ISP have something called "turbo" mode that lets you download for short periods of time at a higher rate. This was a scam to get good speedtest numbers and people complained...
It's usually based on the server you are downloading from. It's more common on sites that don't have a lot of internet bandwidth on their servers to go around, and they throttle downloads to accommodate all the users using their site.

Think of it this way:
1 person using site: full speed
2 persons using site: half speed both users

And obviously it would just go down from there. It's not usually that bad as mentioned above. It's usually a much larger number before the site begins to throttle everyone.

If we ignore bugs in the software there is nothing on your pc that will do that. The methods used by file transfers should always attempt to use the maximum bandwidth. It will vary a bit if it gets errors but it should again try to use the maximum bandwidth.

If it was your pc you would have to have some form of software loaded that is doing that. Some motherboards ship with silly "gamer"" accelerator network firmware these cause all kinds of strange issues.

Otherwise it is something outside your control. Although its been a while since I saw it some ISP have something called "turbo" mode that lets you download for short periods of time at a higher rate. This was a scam to get good speedtest numbers and people complained. Not sure if some ISP still do that.

Solution

mandache.eduard48

Prominent
Jul 26, 2018
Thanks for the replies, I guess it might be from some software. I did try something related to killer network adapters and it didn't turn out as a big difference though. Might just be the distance between me and the server (19 hops).