Why does my frames drop in every game after overclocking?

k11365

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Cpu: Pentium D945 (3.4GHz)
Cooler: Zalman 9700 LED
Ram: Corsair Xms 2GB (1x1gb)
Gpu: 8800gt with latest driver (so I know its not due to out-dated driver)
Mobo: Asus P5KPL-AM SE

When I play Cod MW2, I would normally get fluid 50-70 frames. However, ever since getting a new mother board -- Asus P5KPL-AM SE -- and attempting to overclock it a bit too much (4.01GHz on a Pentium D945; 3.4GHz), my computer suffers from frame rate drops in middle of the game. I would get 10-20 frames for a minute. Then it would ease again back up to 50-70 frames. As of now, I lowered my clock to 3.59GHz to stay safe. Nonetheless, it constantly slows down.

Could it be that I messed up my Cpu by overclocking like a noob?

I just used an option thT the board provided, which allowed me to pick from Overclock 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 30%, not doing the adjusting manually. I just jumped from one to another, if the system felt stable. Meaning, I tried 5% and if that did not lead to blue screen or non-responsive boot-up then I just cranked it up to 10% and so forth.

I can't even play games when I got accepted to the university I wanted because the computer slows down way too much for me to get headshots lol. Anyway, please give me some tips as to what might have gone wrong, or what could be the issue.

P.S The frames do not drop only for Cod MW2, other games such as SC2, CS:S and others suffer as well. Tested with FRAPS just to make sure I wasn't drugged or anything.

tx-jose

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
u said you updated the drivers on your card....how many times did you do that? It could be possible that you have a corrupt driver but you would be seeing your display driver crash if that were the case.

acer0169

Distinguished
First of all don't assume the latest video drivers are the best. I'm running NVIDIA's 195.74 drivers because when I updated to 250.xx I was running ALL games at around 20% lower FPS.

Second.. have you overclocked your graphics card at all?

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

Well, when you oc, either you do it manually,i mean everything or predefined bios options,- which is not recommended.
Just try your oc, w/o using auto over clock in bios, only increase fsb -

loneninja

Distinguished
Have you bothered to check your temps? Sounds like the cpu is overheating, throttling down to save it self, than speeding back up to repeat he process all over again.

I use to have a Dell Latitude with a Core Duo in it, did a lot of rendering in 3ds max and near the end of it's life it over heated horribly. I would get near 100C, drop down to 1.0Ghz for a few minutes to cool down, clock it self back up, and once again drop down within minutes from over heating.

k11365

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
I don't think the driver is an issue, as mentioned above, my monitor is running fine. I installed the driver twice; first when I reinstalled vista, and a month later for the newest one.

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
I have a similar board. I have this problem.

When overclocked, run a good temp monitor (Coretemp, Realtemp) and a stress program (Prime95, ItelBurn Test) You will see that the CPU does indeed throttle down. This will be indicated by a drop in multiplier or a sudden drop in temps without a change in load.

If you could do that and post the following information
What I would reccomend it running Intelburntest for th standards setting.
1) When the CPU is under stress, what are the temps (load temps)?

2) At what temps does it throttle down (incase you don't know, this is the mutiplier decreasing) Core temp will show the multiplier and has a quicker refresh that CPU-z.
make a note of the completion time an the five figures giveing the total Gflops for each run.

Then please remove you overclock and repeat process and post results.