Question why does my game keep freezing?

GekYume

Reputable
May 28, 2019
Stick to 1 thread
hey guys, i recently got a new graphic card, it's sapphire nitro+ rx 580

i removed the old driver before installing it and then installed it's latest driver....my problem is that when i start a game and play it on ultra

it works on just fine but keep freezing for no reason for 3 - 4 seconds then comes back everytime, i cannot play any games with that freezing and sometimes it just crashes....i need help what do i do?

i5 4460
8gb ram 1333MHz
1tb
sapphire rx 580

GekYume

Reputable
May 28, 2019
Which Power supply do you have ? Are you suing Windows 10 OS ? What is the GPU and CPU TEMP value while gaming ? What all PC games are you playing ? List the names.
i have a seasonic S12II Bronze 520W 80 Plus, im using windows 10 home, the gpu is around 58 to 59 with ultra settings and the cpu is 61 and 63 also on ultra,
i tried AC orgings, the witcher 3, watch dogs 2, they all do the same thing then crash after.

Have you tried doing a CLEAN/fresh Windows OS install ? Also, use the DDU tool to do a clean re-install of the GPU drivers. Download the latest driver and then check whether games are again freezing or not. If yes, then try to rollback the GPU drivers to an older version.

Make sure you don't any background program/process/app running when playing games. Windows 10 OS might also be the culprit here, IMO. Many gamers have been complaining of poor performance with games, on Windows 10 OS, like lag spikes, freezes, crashes, poor FPS etc. Your current Seasonic PSU is an okay average PSU model.

But I don't think the power supply might be causing this freeze. Though I'm not ruling out the power supply.

Are you also facing LAG spikes when playing games, any kind of lag/delay ? IF YES, then try this workaround, else, you can ignore this part of my comment.

One of the most obvious ways to stop lagging in Windows 10 is by working around the way updates are being downloaded and installed on your computer. DISABLE all automatic updates, if possible. Try to change the setting, which allows you to manage how Windows 10 updates are going to be installed, and at which frequency.

ALSO, framework problems behind the Steam Client Service might also make your Windows 10 laggy. This application is mainly responsible to monitor and update necessary steam content on a constant basis. But in Windows 10, this steam client feature isn’t working as intended, and may lead to heavy LAG during an online game. Dota 2 and CS:GO players are more prone to the issue. You can manage the Steam Client Service by following the steps mentioned below;
  • Open Start Menu and search for “View local services”
  • Among the huge list, search for “Steam Client Service” and then right click to go to its Properties
  • Change the startup type to Automatics and then Stop the Service Status activity for a few moments.
  • Click on Start again
The Local Services and Steam Client Service window will look like this;

nfEnQW8.png

Last edited:

GekYume

Reputable
May 28, 2019
Have you tried doing a CLEAN/fresh Windows OS install ? Also, use the DDU tool to do a clean re-install of the GPU drivers. Download the latest driver and then check whether games are again freezing or not. If yes, then try to rollback the GPU drivers to an older version.

Make sure you don't any background program/process/app running when playing games. Windows 10 OS might also be the culprit here, IMO. Many gamers have been complaining of poor performance with games, on Windows 10 OS, like lag spikes, freezes, crashes, poor FPS etc. Your current Seasonic PSU is an okay average PSU model.

But I don't think the power supply might be causing this freeze. Though I'm not ruling out the power supply.

Are you also facing LAG spikes when playing games, any kind of lag/delay ? IF YES, then try this workaround, else, you can ignore this part of my comment.

One of the most obvious ways to stop lagging in Windows 10 is by working around the way updates are being downloaded and installed on your computer. DISABLE all automatic updates, if possible. Try to change the setting, which allows you to manage how Windows 10 updates are going to be installed, and at which frequency.

ALSO, framework problems behind the Steam Client Service might also make your Windows 10 laggy. This application is mainly responsible to monitor and update necessary steam content on a constant basis. But in Windows 10, this steam client feature isn’t working as intended, and may lead to heavy LAG during an online game. Dota 2 and CS:GO players are more prone to the issue. You can manage the Steam Client Service by following the steps mentioned below;
  • Open Start Menu and search for “View local services”
  • Among the huge list, search for “Steam Client Service” and then right click to go to its Properties
  • Change the startup type to Automatics and then Stop the Service Status activity for a few moments.
  • Click on Start again
The Local Services and Steam Client Service window will look like this;

nfEnQW8.png
i uninstalled the one that was in my old graphic card with DDU tool, i clicked full unistall, then i removed my old card and put the new card and downloaded the latest version of the graphic card i have and installed it, in rise of the tomb raider the memory goes up to 99% and the game lags and freezes? is my memory the problem here although in witcher 3 and origings the memory was alright?
I already have a windows 10, should i just reset it and keep my drive files? "i need them"

View: https://imgur.com/a/qJeHNHt

Last edited:
Resolution and quality (texture, AA/AF) settings drastically affect how much of a GPU's frame buffer is utilized, and of course not every CPU is capable of maxing out/saturating every GPU.

You are perhaps a bit low on RAM for some games within WIn10, and, naturally your particular i5 is not saturating the RX580.

Every game is limited by something, either GPU or CPU. The RX580 is still a nice GPU for 1080P high quality gaming, stop worrying about task manager's CPU/GPU percentage of usage levels and ratios between the two if otherwise happy with your frame rate...

WIndows 10 has been updated regularly, of course, so, did your performance possibly fall off right after an update to 1903, or, possibly after a recent driver RX580 driver update?

GekYume

Reputable
May 28, 2019
i recently got a new graphic card, i installed the latest driver and everything

but when i fired up a game the game started freezing and cutting out and sometimes crash?
the GPU was only 50% - 63% and the CPU was always at 86% to 99%, i don't really know if the ram or the CPU is the problem here...how do i fix it?

Sapphire nitro+ rx 580
i5-4460
8gb ram ddr3
1Tb
psu: Seasonic s12ii 520W

View: https://imgur.com/a/aS21K59

TRENDING THREADS