[SOLVED] Why does my gpu clock down by 15 mhz when playing certain games?

Solution
In most cases a GPU will only work as hard as it needs to, or it will down clock due to temps. I think this one falls under the "only works as hard as it needs to" scenario. Have you checked your CPU usage as well? You might find that your CPU is working hard as CSGO is a CPU intensive game, and the GPU is only processing the frames that the CPU is feeding to it... or if the CPU is not working hard and is feeding the GPU all the frames it can handle the temp or power limits of the GPU may be kicking in and it is down clocking to protect itself. Either way, if you are getting good performance then the card is doing everything it is supposed to be doing.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Could be power limits or from passing multiple temperature thresholds on the card; 10, 16, and 20 series gpus are temperature sensitive.
The cooler it runs, the higher the boost clocks - if power limits allow.

The temperature thresholds are different from the throttle temp of 90C; it'll drop much more than 15-20mhz if it gets that hot.

In most cases a GPU will only work as hard as it needs to, or it will down clock due to temps. I think this one falls under the "only works as hard as it needs to" scenario. Have you checked your CPU usage as well? You might find that your CPU is working hard as CSGO is a CPU intensive game, and the GPU is only processing the frames that the CPU is feeding to it... or if the CPU is not working hard and is feeding the GPU all the frames it can handle the temp or power limits of the GPU may be kicking in and it is down clocking to protect itself. Either way, if you are getting good performance then the card is doing everything it is supposed to be doing.

Solution