[SOLVED] Why does my gpu crash after me dropping my phone on the table from like 3cm above and why does it crash randomly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2021
I have a 1660 super and when ever I slightly drop a controller or phone on my table, it causes it to crash. Sometimes my pc crashes then automatically boots up again, other times it completely turns off and I need to push the gpu into the motherboard and manually restart the pc from the power button for it to turn on again. Sometimes when I turn it on it randomly crashes and it crashes about three times randomly before it is usable and warmed up. Can someone please help me, I always leave randomly from games and sometimes school work does not save. Please help and ask questions if you need. (ps: my pc is on my desk)

Solution
are you sure it is a loose cable because my graphics card becomes disconnected and the little light pops up on my motherboard under gpu and i have to push it in everytime for it to work again
Then you've found the problem. Your GPU is loose in its slot, fix this and most, if not all, of your problems will be solved. Though while in there unplug/replug all connectors to ensure that they are tight. If you lack the skills to do this then engage a local expert to assist.
are you sure it is a loose cable because my graphics card becomes disconnected and the little light pops up on my motherboard under gpu and i have to push it in everytime for it to work again
Then you've found the problem. Your GPU is loose in its slot, fix this and most, if not all, of your problems will be solved. Though while in there unplug/replug all connectors to ensure that they are tight. If you lack the skills to do this then engage a local expert to assist.

Solution
I'm also wondering about the pcie latch that secures the card in the slot. Google it if you don't know what I mean. Also make sure you have screwed the gpu bracket at the back of the case. With the latch and the screw done properly, you shouldn't have issues.

Oct 5, 2021
Thank you will let you know about it after I get my friend to do it.

Oct 5, 2021
I'm also wondering about the pcie latch that secures the card in the slot. Google it if you don't know what I mean. Also make sure you have screwed the gpu bracket at the back of the case. With the latch and the screw done properly, you shouldn't have issues.
What do you want to know about the pcie cable, I dont think that is the problem because i just push the graphics card in not the cable

how do i check that
its a plastic piece at end of pcie slot, if its broken, it wont hold GPU in place
one side of GPU is screwed to pc case...this part shouldnt be moving, other side is holded by that tiny little plastic (retention clip)
when you push GPU inside slot, it should stick to gpu PCB and hold it in place
EBMlk3e.jpg

if you have this one, try to put your finger under it and rise it up

if you have this old one...hmm those were crap
PEG-600M.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.