[SOLVED] Why does my GPU get hot even when im not gaming.

McGamer

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
So for the past month or so my computer gets loud all of a sudden and after a while quiets down again and this happens throughout the use of the computer and happens pretty much any time i am using it. At first i thought it was the CPU so i started running some tests and found out that it was the graphics card. I took some readings using GPU-Z and both reading were done while i was watching Twitch or just general browsing of the internet, nothing that should be too GPU intensive. I'm just having a hard time figuring out as to why it would get so hot? I've had this PC for about a year and a half and have made no changes to the hardware. I always update the drivers whenever they are released as well and even dusted the computer after i started hearing the noise to see if it would help but i didn't. Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

PC SPECS:
EVGA GTX 1080
MSI Z270-A PRO MOBO
32GB RAM
I7-7700k
EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3 PSU

The below readings were taken while just browsing the internet. Watching youtube videos here and there.

When the GPU is quiet. ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀When the GPU is loud.
IYnxUJc.gif
xzAR812.gif

Solution
Make sure Nvidia's Shadow Play is not enabled. This will keep your gpu slightly occupied even on idle, waiting for you to record anything. Disable it
So for the past month or so my computer gets loud all of a sudden and after a while quiets down again and this happens throughout the use of the computer and happens pretty much any time i am using it. At first i thought it was the CPU so i started running some tests and found out that it was the graphics card. I took some readings using GPU-Z and both reading were done while i was watching Twitch or just general browsing of the internet, nothing that should be too GPU intensive. I'm just having a hard time figuring out as to why it would get so hot? I've had this PC for about a year and a half and have made no changes to the hardware. I always update the drivers whenever they are released as well and even dusted the computer after i started hearing the noise to see if it would help but i didn't. Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

PC SPECS:
EVGA GTX 1080
MSI Z270-A PRO MOBO
32GB RAM
I7-7700k
EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3 PSU

The below readings were taken while just browsing the internet. Watching youtube videos here and there.

When the GPU is quiet. ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀When the GPU is loud.
IYnxUJc.gif
xzAR812.gif
Can you set it to Celsius so the rest of the world Knows what’s going on?

McGamer

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Sorry LOL the first one is 39 c and the second pic is 46 c, its not bad but why does the fan ramp up to the point where i can actually notice the noise. Its never done that before and i'm sure its been at 46 c within the past year of use.

TRENDING THREADS