[SOLVED] Why does my gpu show no display when playing games but not when browsing internet etc?

Jun 27, 2020
Hi
Im having problems with a gpu I have bought. It is an msi Radeon r9 290x 4gb twin frozr which I am using with a gigabyte f2a-78m-d3h. it works fine until I try to load a game such as fortnite or GTA v. This is when the problems occur. It then just shows no display but the pc is still running and all the fans are spinning. I thought this could be the power as I have a 500 watt and am using a molex to three molex splitter then using a molex to 8 pin and molex to 6 pin adapter. I thought this could be the problem but I wanted to know others think?
Thanks for looking!

Solution
Yes, that is the problem. If you have to use adapters to gain the connections ANY graphics card needs, then the unit is NOT capable of supporting that graphics card because if it WAS, it would ALREADY have those connections. The 290x is a VERY high draw graphics card and even if that was a 500w Seasonic Prime Ultra, it is VERY unlikely that your 290x would be able to run on it. You need a HIGH QUALITY 650w unit. Almost certainly what you have is not "high quality" and it absolutely is 150w short of what it should be for that graphics card, especially since we KNOW that the 290x can spike moderately higher even than 650w under the right conditions.

You should read this...
Yes, that is the problem. If you have to use adapters to gain the connections ANY graphics card needs, then the unit is NOT capable of supporting that graphics card because if it WAS, it would ALREADY have those connections. The 290x is a VERY high draw graphics card and even if that was a 500w Seasonic Prime Ultra, it is VERY unlikely that your 290x would be able to run on it. You need a HIGH QUALITY 650w unit. Almost certainly what you have is not "high quality" and it absolutely is 150w short of what it should be for that graphics card, especially since we KNOW that the 290x can spike moderately higher even than 650w under the right conditions.

You should read this:

And this:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/psu-buying-guide,2916.html

Solution
Jun 27, 2020

You should read this:

And this:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/psu-buying-guide,2916.html
Ok thanks, I will have a look for a better psu, would you recommend a modular, semi-modular or non modular?
Thanks again

I always recommend at least semi-modular, when modularity is a question and an option, but in truth it doesn't really matter unless it matters to you. Semi modular is a lot easier to work with, but non-modular is generally a bit less expensive.

While this is considerably more expensive right now that when things are more normalized, things are, in fact, not normal at the moment, so it's probably your best option at the lowest price right now. Unfortunately, motherboards and power supplies are in short supply because of China shutting down for two months, so that was two to three months of no manufacturing, no shipping and now that they are semi back to shipping again it's still going to take a while for manufacturing to get the supply chain back to pre-2020 levels. As they say, it is what it is. If you want a motherboard or power supply at the moment, you are going to pay more for them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9KIFWF?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1