Question Why does my GPU temp jump several degrees after launching a game ?

Jul 26, 2021
My GPU temperature is about 35-40 degrees (Celsius) idle with the fans running, but when I launch a game or benchmark, the temperature jumps straight to a stable 80 degrees. This happens with and without overclocking.

I used MSI Afterburner to monitor the temperature of the GPU while doing this and the graph just shows a steep increase in temperature and a steep drop when I close the application. Is this a temperature read fault or is it normal?

I also use MSI to keep the fans running 24/7, probably not necessary but whatever.

Specs:
CPU - i5-6600K
GPU - Nvidia GTX 970
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3
RAM - 16 GB

Jul 6, 2021
My GPU temperature is about 35-40 degrees (Celsius) idle with the fans running, but when I launch a game or benchmark, the temperature jumps straight to a stable 80 degrees. This happens with and without overclocking.

I used MSI Afterburner to monitor the temperature of the GPU while doing this and the graph just shows a steep increase in temperature and a steep drop when I close the application. Is this a temperature read fault or is it normal?

I also use MSI to keep the fans running 24/7, probably not necessary but whatever.

Specs:
CPU - i5-6600K
GPU - Nvidia GTX 970
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3
RAM - 16 GB
Don't worry , this is normal and the temp's are totally normal. my GTX 1660 does the same and goes up to 81C. anything up to 84C is safe so you're good

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS