[SOLVED] Why does my GPU temp jump several degrees after launching a game ?

mattwerew

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
My GPU temperature is about 35-40 degrees (Celsius) idle with the fans running, but when I launch a game or benchmark, the temperature jumps straight to a stable 80 degrees. This happens with and without overclocking.

I used MSI Afterburner to monitor the temperature of the GPU while doing this and the graph just shows a steep increase in temperature and a steep drop when I close the application. Is this a temperature read fault or is it normal?

I also use MSI to keep the fans running 24/7, probably not necessary but whatever.

Specs:
CPU - i5-6600K
GPU - Nvidia GTX 970
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3
RAM - 16 GB

Jul 6, 2021
My GPU temperature is about 35-40 degrees (Celsius) idle with the fans running, but when I launch a game or benchmark, the temperature jumps straight to a stable 80 degrees. This happens with and without overclocking.

I used MSI Afterburner to monitor the temperature of the GPU while doing this and the graph just shows a steep increase in temperature and a steep drop when I close the application. Is this a temperature read fault or is it normal?

I also use MSI to keep the fans running 24/7, probably not necessary but whatever.

Specs:
CPU - i5-6600K
GPU - Nvidia GTX 970
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3
RAM - 16 GB

Don't worry , this is normal and the temp's are totally normal. my GTX 1660 does the same and goes up to 81C. anything up to 84C is safe so you're good