Question Why does my gpu work but not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2023
To start here are my specs
Computer specs

Motherboard is a x570 gaming edge Wi-Fi.

CPU Ryzen 9 3900x

32GB Corsair Vengeance rgb 3200

RTX 4070 ti gigabyte gaming oc

1000w fully modular psu

Recently I purchased a Gigabyte RTX 4070 ti that I’m upgrading to from a 1080ti
After installing the 4070 ti everything seems ok.
First thing I noticed is upon booting up my pc the 3 fans on the 4070ti spin and light up but would stop appropriately 3-5 seconds later and never turn back on.
I ran msi afterburner to see if I could see anything. Voltage shows 0 mh
Voltage slider is grayed out even after enabling the unlock.
Also when going into the settings on afterburner I don’t have a tab for fans anywhere.
I did the recommended driver update for the gpu that came out on 8/8/23.
I have made sure that in bios I’m not on integrated graphics but what msi has a PEG instead.
In display adapter it is set to my 4070 ti.
I’m pulling my hair out because of this shiny 900$+ brick. I do have the warranty and I did purchase from best buy and can return until sometime in October. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Grammar is awful I know and am sorry ha

Are you using a riser cable or is the card plugged in directly to the PCIe slot? If there's a riser cable plug the card directly in, or if that's too much trouble switch the BIOS to PCIe 3.0 and see what happens. If there isn't a riser cable you could still try switching the BIOS to PCIe 3.0, but I'm not really sure that would make any difference.

If the above doesn't do anything make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date. Uninstall the drivers using DDU and try a reinstall after doing so.

Reactions: AnOrphan
Aug 18, 2023
Are you using a riser cable or is the card plugged in directly to the PCIe slot? If there's a riser cable plug the card directly in, or if that's too much trouble switch the BIOS to PCIe 3.0 and see what happens. If there isn't a riser cable you could still try switching the BIOS to PCIe 3.0, but I'm not really sure that would make any difference.

If the above doesn't do anything make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date. Uninstall the drivers using DDU and try a reinstall after doing so.
Hey so I do in fact have a vertical gpu mount that the card plugs into then a ribbon cable from the mount to the motherboard. As far as bios to PCIe 3.0 goes I’m not 100% sure how to do so. I do have the x570 gaming edge Wi-Fi motherboard.

Hey so I do in fact have a vertical gpu mount that the card plugs into then a ribbon cable from the mount to the motherboard. As far as bios to PCIe 3.0 goes I’m not 100% sure how to do so. I do have the x570 gaming edge Wi-Fi motherboard.
Well if they haven't changed where things are it looks like you'll want to put the BIOS in advanced mode if it is currently in ez mode. Go to settings -> advanced -> PCI subsystem settings -> PCH gen switch and choose gen 3.

Reactions: AnOrphan
Aug 18, 2023
Well if they haven't changed where things are it looks like you'll want to put the BIOS in advanced mode if it is currently in ez mode. Go to settings -> advanced -> PCI subsystem settings -> PCH gen switch and choose gen 3.
Awesome! Thank you for all of your advice I’ll update you in a few hours when I get to the machine.

Aug 18, 2023
Hey bud it worked!!! Now it appears to be working properly. I can even see the fan settings on gigabyte control center. Thank you very much for the help. It means more than you know.

Reactions: thestryker
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS