[SOLVED] Why does my graphics card keep crashing?

Nov 12, 2019
I run a GTX 660 PNY Edition in my computer, but I have two peculiar problems:
  1. If i restart my computer, upon booting to windows, my screen will flash black every 3-7 seconds. the only way I've figured to fix this problem is to reseat the card into its slot. Every time I boot into windows
  2. Occasionally my screen will freeze, no matter the load. I once ran furmark for 3 hours and had no problems, but I've also had discord open for 7 minutes and it crashed. However, I still have control over what happens. I can hear people if I'm on a call, and I can still run programs, though I cannot see them. If it freezes, I'm forced to reboot the computer and reseat the card into is slot. Every time I boot into windows.
Ive tried:
Repairing corrupt files
updating drivers
resetting the winsock catalog
installing a new version of windows
increasing the amount of virtual memory
switched from a hard drive to an SSD
removing temporary files
using a different power supply
using a different motherboard
tried switching PCIE slots
ran a memory test on graphics card
cleaned all the dust off card
and tried to update the bios though this did not work.

I've narrowed down the problem to my graphics card, I do not think its dead however because its issues only occur if I don't reseat the card and occur at random times. I've done the little I could find on the internet but nothing seemed to help. If any of you need the full spec list, or anything else, ask.

Any help would be appreciated, I've had quite enough.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019
I run a GTX 660 PNY Edition in my computer, but I have two peculiar problems:
  1. If i restart my computer, upon booting to windows, my screen will flash black every 3-7 seconds. the only way I've figured to fix this problem is to reseat the card into its slot. Every time I boot into windows
  2. Occasionally my screen will freeze, no matter the load. I once ran furmark for 3 hours and had no problems, but I've also had discord open for 7 minutes and it crashed. However, I still have control over what happens. I can hear people if I'm on a call, and I can still run programs, though I cannot see them. If it freezes, I'm forced to reboot the computer and reseat the card into is slot. Every time I boot into windows.
Ive tried:
Repairing corrupt files
updating drivers
resetting the winsock catalog
installing a new version of windows
increasing the amount of virtual memory
switched from a hard drive to an SSD
removing temporary files
using a different power supply
using a different motherboard
tried switching PCIE slots
ran a memory test on graphics card
cleaned all the dust off card
and tried to update the bios though this did not work.

I've narrowed down the problem to my graphics card, I do not think its dead however because its issues only occur if I don't reseat the card and occur at random times. I've done the little I could find on the internet but nothing seemed to help. If any of you need the full spec list, or anything else, ask.

Any help would be appreciated, I've had quite enough.
Today Nvidia released a driver update for the GTX 600 series, and since I updated, I haven't noticed any issues, so, epic.

Nov 12, 2019
Today Nvidia released a driver update for the GTX 600 series, and since I updated, I haven't noticed any issues, so, epic.

Okay so its been almost 18 hours since the issue was fixed, however today microsoft decided they were going to update windows and that kinda screwed me over. Im just gonna revert back to the last patch, report to microsoft, and leave this forum unanswered until someone figures it out.