Question Why does my GTX 1060 run hot

Samuel14

Commendable
Apr 24, 2021
My PALIT gtx 1060 is 4 years old now and it is on 1506mhz on idle. Does that make my temps go hot? Im currently on 60C when it is afternoon, 57-59C in the morning. Room temp is around 28-30C. I recently changed thermal pads and paste btw. I too have a positive airflow

sonofjesse

Distinguished
That is fine, as long as you don't' go over thermal limit the card will work. More important, what is it under load?

We get about 10 posts a week on cpu/gpu temps and 9.9 times out of 10 their normal, under thermal limit. People think their PC should run at 10C under load it seems like, and that is not how electronics work. Power from the wall is turned into heat when the computer runs.

To be honest its not summer yet and 28-30C is kind of on the high side.

If you just love to see lower temps I would try:

Turn down AC to 20C.
Run GPU fan at 100% via afterburner
Run CPU fans at 100%.

As long as your under thermal limits your fine.

Happy computing.

Reactions: Samuel14

Samuel14

Commendable
Apr 24, 2021
That is fine, as long as you don't' go over thermal limit the card will work. More important, what is it under load?

We get about 10 posts a week on cpu/gpu temps and 9.9 times out of 10 their normal, under thermal limit. People think their PC should run at 10C under load it seems like, and that is not how electronics work. Power from the wall is turned into heat when the computer runs.

To be honest its not summer yet and 28-30C is kind of on the high side.

If you just love to see lower temps I would try:

Turn down AC to 20C.
Run GPU fan at 100% via afterburner
Run CPU fans at 100%.

As long as your under thermal limits your fine.

Happy computing.
Thanks for the clarification I was just really scared of my temps since I have little OC headroom to play with. But there is no load on the gpu, Im just sitting on the desktop earlier observing from MSI Afterburner and my base clock(1506mhz) does not go down when there is no load, like it used to and my temps now is sitting at 53C since AC is on. Oh and btw doesnt 100% fan rpm affects bearings? or I was just misinformed?

sonofjesse

Distinguished
If you run fans 100% yes it will wear a fan bearing more than 0%. Fan's normally last a while, but by default your GPU/CPU and case fans adjust the fan speed based on temps.

I honestly would keep the AC on. Keep the fans at defaults and go from their. Now if your going to OC, you will need to pump up the fans.

OC usually isn't worth the pain IMHO. Unless you just love to tinker.

I would just keep the AC low and game and be happy :)

Reactions: Samuel14

Samuel14

Commendable
Apr 24, 2021
That's not unusual for an air cooled gpu not doing anything.
Idle thermals reflect chassis airflow, fan speeds, fan setup, and chassis ambient(always warmer than room ambient).
Maybe just the climate, when it was January to Febuary 2021, my temps were 44C but slowly climbed as our country's temp started to heat up