Question Why does my ICC profile look bad on macOS?

lumpywiggler

Honorable
May 27, 2013
I recently bought a MSI monitor for use with my desktop gaming PC, as well as my MacBook Pro docked station. I got a calibrated ICC profile (it's actually .icm, if that matters) from a reliable source on the internet. I know there can be variation with different monitors, but I don't have a calibration tool, and it looks much better than the default settings. That is, it does on Windows. When I switched to my Mac and applied the ICC, it looks terrible. Comparing the two (switching between inputs), the "white" looks very red, and the deep blues look gray.

TL;DR: The ICC that looks good on Windows looks terrible on macOS. Is there a way to fix this? TIA

I recently bought a MSI monitor for use with my desktop gaming PC, as well as my MacBook Pro docked station. I got a calibrated ICC profile (it's actually .icm, if that matters) from a reliable source on the internet. I know there can be variation with different monitors, but I don't have a calibration tool, and it looks much better than the default settings. That is, it does on Windows. When I switched to my Mac and applied the ICC, it looks terrible. Comparing the two (switching between inputs), the "white" looks very red, and the deep blues look gray.

TL;DR: The ICC that looks good on Windows looks terrible on macOS. Is there a way to fix this? TIA
That calibration file was created for a Windows platform.
You might need to find a middle ground if you are using the display with two platforms.
Finding a calibration file from a reliable sure means nothing.
You could use it as a point of reference but to really work you will have to be using the same components, ambient lighting, angle of the display (position) and even the age of the display matters.
Also, you will have to perceive colors similar as the person who created the calibrations settings.

Have you tried Display Calibrator Assistant on the MBP?
What's the model of the display?

lumpywiggler

Honorable
May 27, 2013
That calibration file was created for a Windows platform.
You might need to find a middle ground if you are using the display with two platforms.
Finding a calibration file from a reliable sure means nothing.
You could use it as a point of reference but to really work you will have to be using the same components, ambient lighting, angle of the display (position) and even the age of the display matters.
Also, you will have to perceive colors similar as the person who created the calibrations settings.

Have you tried Display Calibrator Assistant on the MBP?
What's the model of the display?
I have tried the display calibrator assistant, for which it asks me to set the white point. Moving the slider, based on just how it looks as I slide it, none of the options look very good at all. Whites either look yellow or red, and blues consistently look far too gray. I definitely was not aware that ICC profiles would only work reliably on one platform. I will say that it looks very good on Windows, though, so I am happy with that ICC for Windows. Any idea on how to calibrate the display other than the Display Calibrator Assistant?

Model of the display I'm using is MSI MAG321CQR.

What are the monitors settings?
Using the Navi key get to the OSD and see if this settings change anything.
Game Mode: User
Response Time: Normal
FreeSync: OFF
Pro Mode: User
HDCR: OFF

Without calibration hardware or software you might need to go by try-and-error.
I usually get a white image on the screen and place white paper (object) next to display and then adjust the RGB values until I match the scree with the object.

lumpywiggler

Honorable
May 27, 2013
What are the monitors settings?
Using the Navi key get to the OSD and see if this settings change anything.
Game Mode: User
Response Time: Normal
FreeSync: OFF
Pro Mode: User
HDCR: OFF

Without calibration hardware or software you might need to go by try-and-error.
I usually get a white image on the screen and place white paper (object) next to display and then adjust the RGB values until I match the scree with the object.
Yes, those are the settings I have. I will try adjusting the RGB values that way, thank you.