Question Why does my internet go out when the garage is opened?

Jun 4, 2019
Hey,
So my internet at home is pretty crap, we have two of them in case one breaks down (it doesn't help but i'm not about to explain that to my grandpa), and my xbox can only even try to download a game if nothing else is using the internet. I've noticed that all devices lose connection to the internet (it looks like the internet just dies) when the garage door (The big loud one) is opened or closed. How? why? and what do i do to fix it?

Thank you,

That is strange do you know if the router/modem actually goes down or only your wifi devices that connect to it. Do ethernet connected devices also lose access to the internet. If the router is rebooting or something it could be a power problem.

But I suspect it is your neighbors sneaking into your garage :). More than likely when the door is open more interfering signals from the neighbors get into your house. If this is the case there is little you can do. Maybe change the channel you are using on the router but that seldom helps any more since the radio channels are pretty much all in use with so many people around.

Reactions: jade stevens
Jun 4, 2019
"That is strange do you know if the router/modem actually goes down or only your wifi devices that connect to it. Do ethernet connected devices also lose access to the internet. If the router is rebooting or something it could be a power problem.

But I suspect it is your neighbors sneaking into your garage :). More than likely when the door is open more interfering signals from the neighbors get into your house. If this is the case there is little you can do. Maybe change the channel you are using on the router but that seldom helps any more since the radio channels are pretty much all in use with so many people around. "

I don't know about the ethernet cable thing, what kind of devices are connected through the ethernet? And what happens if it does make them stop working too?
Also, thank you so much for answering me, this really helps a lot!

Jun 4, 2019
"If you do not know what a ethernet cable is you are best off asking for help to figure this out.

Your goal is to find out if it is just wifi that goes down or the whole internet connection. "

I do know what an ethernet cable is, that's my fault for wording my sentence wrong, what I meant was I didn't know that it could affect an ethernet connection but now that I think about it, I guess it's kind of obvious :p
Thank you for the advice, I'll have to check it out tomorrow when the garage is opened again!

TRENDING THREADS