Why does my laptop shut down at 1%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Just curious what your Critical Battery Level is set to. I'm pretty sure the default isn't 1%. Unless you've changed it to that, it's doing exactly what you've told it to do... Nothing. It's shutting down because it doesn't have sufficient power to keep running.

-Wolf sends

kanewolf

Titan
Lithium Ion batteries do not discharge linearly. The difference between 1% and 0% might be one second. I also wouldn't trust the gauge at the extreme low end. Again a small difference in voltage could be enough for a false reading.

Lithium Ion batteries do not discharge linearly. The difference between 1% and 0% might be one second. I also wouldn't trust the gauge at the extreme low end. Again a small difference in voltage could be enough for a false reading.
This

Also continually running a lithium battery to near flat will reduce its lifespan. Rule of thumb you are best to keep them between 20%-80% if you want to maximise their life.

Reactions: popatim
There are quite a few silly threads today and this is one of them.

If anyone thinks they can work around our Spam filters by putting up a stupid question to come back later and edit in some Commercial Spam, please be aware that their account will be banned and their posts removed withint ten minutes.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
There are quite a few silly threads today and this is one of them.

If anyone thinks they can work around our Spam filters by putting up a stupid question to come back later and edit in some Commercial Spam, please be aware that their account will be banned and their posts removed withint ten minutes.

Lol Do people actually do that?

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
Just curious what your Critical Battery Level is set to. I'm pretty sure the default isn't 1%. Unless you've changed it to that, it's doing exactly what you've told it to do... Nothing. It's shutting down because it doesn't have sufficient power to keep running.

-Wolf sends

But I didn't select "Shut Down", I selected "Do Nothing". If I had wanted it to Shut Down, I would have selected that

USAFRet

Titan
But I didn't select "Shut Down", I selected "Do Nothing". If I had wanted it to Shut Down, I would have selected that
That is the OS overriding your choice, and going into self preservation mode. There is basically 0% battery life left.
The OS has 2 options:
  1. Somewhere between 1% and 0%, shut down somewhat gracefully and prevent corruption
  2. Continue on for a few more minutes, and let it actually run out of battery. Possibly/probably corrupting whatever data was still in a write state.

Letting itself continue until actual 0 power is like yanking the plug out of the wall on a running desktop PC. Often, that requires a full wipe and reinstall, because whatever the OS may have been doing at that moment was interrupted, and parts of the OS are now corrupt.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
That is the OS overriding your choice, and going into self preservation mode. There is basically 0% battery life left.
The OS has 2 options:
  1. Somewhere between 1% and 0%, shut down somewhat gracefully and prevent corruption
  2. Continue on for a few more minutes, and let it actually run out of battery. Possibly/probably corrupting whatever data was still in a write state.
Letting itself continue until actual 0 power is like yanking the plug out of the wall on a running desktop PC. Often, that requires a full wipe and reinstall, because whatever the OS may have been doing at that moment was interrupted, and parts of the OS are now corrupt.

If it's going to override my choice, I shouldn't have the ability to choose "Do nothing" if its not actually going to do nothing

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
This is literally at the 0% power level.
Would you prefer that it just winked out of existence, and you had to reinstall the whole system?

No, I prefer it to Do nothing like I told it to, and when it does its stupid shut down instead of do nothing, it doesn't actually go through the shut down process. Literally everything just goes black and its all gone in a flash. That's a form of "Shut Down". I chose Do nothing, not Shut down, which means take no action and keep * running. I don't care how low the battery is, I chose Do nothing for a reason. Sheesh

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFRet

Titan
No, I prefer it to Do nothing like I told it to, and when it does its stupid shut down instead of do nothing, it doesn't actually go through the shut down process. Literally everything just goes black and its all gone in a flash. That's a form of "Shut Down". I chose Do nothing, not Shut down, which means take no action and keep * running. I don't care how low the battery is, I chose Do nothing for a reason. Sheesh
Ah...so it DOES "Do Nothing".
It doesn't go through the typical Windows shutdown...it actually does completely run out.

Well...at that point...somewhere between 1% and 0%...there is not enough energy flowing from the battery to actually run anything. Poof, gone.
Black screen, no light, no fan...nothing.

Unless we've actually violated the laws of physics, what were you expecting to happen? There ain't no mo' juice.

Like the guy above remarked about your car and an empty gas tank.

Reactions: dudeman509

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
Ah...so it DOES "Do Nothing".
It doesn't go through the typical Windows shutdown...it actually does completely run out.

Well...at that point...somewhere between 1% and 0%...there is not enough energy flowing from the battery to actually run anything. Poof, gone.
Black screen, no light, no fan...nothing.

Unless we've actually violated the laws of physics, what were you expecting to happen? There ain't no mo' juice.

Like the guy above remarked about your car and an empty gas tank.

LMAO. I'm going hysterical. That was the most well-written response like..... EVER. I'm dead lol. "There ain't no mo' juice".... GOLD... Loooooool...…. But I chose Do nothing. I want my Do nothing. Shutting down is doing something. I didn't ask the laws of physics's opinion. I want my do nothing *tear*

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS