[SOLVED] Why does my Laptop stop working ?

Mar 23, 2021
Hello, I have two laptops, one for my work and the other for gaming only. Whenever I use it to watch some season I switch to the Airtel TV App* my laptop stops working almost dead, what might be the possible reason? I am using HP i7 5th Generation Laptop 8 GB ram. Most importantly the laptop fan starts making noise on switching the app. Is there something wrong with my Laptop or what I should do?

*[Live link to Airtel TV website removed by moderator as it may be commercial spam and is not needed here]

Solution
Possibly too much work for your CPU/GPU to handle.

What does task manager / performance show when running the application. (CRTL ALT DEL, or Rightclick on the taskbar, to the right of your start button/icons) Also check how your computer behaves with it not running. How much available memory is there before you launch Airtel. You may have too many background tasks running.

CPU could be overheating, given the age, it may need a complete internal cleaning and a replacement of the thermal compound. A tool like https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.43.exe
will let you confirm this. Above 95C or so and there is certainly a problem.

So:
  1. CPU load
  2. CPU temperature (if it is at 100% with airtel running, your...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Possibly too much work for your CPU/GPU to handle.

What does task manager / performance show when running the application. (CRTL ALT DEL, or Rightclick on the taskbar, to the right of your start button/icons) Also check how your computer behaves with it not running. How much available memory is there before you launch Airtel. You may have too many background tasks running.

CPU could be overheating, given the age, it may need a complete internal cleaning and a replacement of the thermal compound. A tool like https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.43.exe
will let you confirm this. Above 95C or so and there is certainly a problem.

So:
  1. CPU load
  2. CPU temperature (if it is at 100% with airtel running, your system may not be fast enough to stream that particular application)
  3. Memory usage
  4. Cleaning, if temperatures are high (though you could also just do this a preventative maintenance, or have it done)

Solution
Mar 20, 2021
I have i7 6700HQ cpu, physical 4 logical 8 cores. I had 4GB ram, when 3 tabs were open at firefox ram was being short and system was slowing down. I added 8GB, now even with 5 tabs and several other programs running ram usage is about 6.5GB. So I don't think any shortage with your 8GB ram.

My opinion is you have to focus on CPU temperature. It has protection against high temperature, slows down when above limits. If you believe it is not heating up then you can check temperature limits, it could be adjustable and set to a very low value (it is only an assumption, may not be true).

If temperature is really high then cleaning heatsink parts as Eximo said. The easiest way is to blow through the ventilation holes and see if lots of dust are going out, if so and problem persists then opening up the notebook and mechanically cleaning may be required.