[SOLVED] Why does my laptop thermal throttle when charging ?

Jun 19, 2021
Hii have this laptop for over an year now but the problem started a month ago. My laptop is Dell Inspiron 5593 with i7-1065G7, 8gb ram and an mx230.
When i plug in my pc and start a game or start any application that uses more then 20% of the cpu my pc starts getting hot and the fans ramp up to 100% speed.
After some time pc starts underclocking and the pc becomes unusable until i close the app that is using 20% or more cpu resources.

I ran ThrottleStop to see the issue and it says this:
https://ibb.co/PjDrz5J

Does "PROCHOT 99*C" mean my temps are over 99 ? because it's not even close to 99 degrees (as you can see on the screenshot).
I even tried disabling BD prochot but no success.
Why is this happening please ?

Solution
Okay, yes, that's a valid point. Your CPU will output more heat with turbo enabled. But turning it off isn't solving the issue. It's just masking it. Leave that option off, and see if we can reduce temps normally.

So, when you say underclocking, how are you monitoring it? Use HWMon of HWInfo (with sensors). Modern CPU's are designed to reduce/increase clockspeeds dynamically on the fly. So it speeds up when it's doing a demanding task, but not so much that it overheats.

Some Dell laptops have undervolting disabled from a bios level, but we can check and see if that is the case with yours. Undervolting the CPU, reduces the voltage to the CPU, which reduces heat, which reduces fans speed, and also allows your CPU to boost higher and for...
Hey there,

No, when prochot is reached the CPU will not go over that temp, and will immediately drop back clockspeed to get the temps under control again. That's why it's underclocking.

Why have you disabled Turbo?

In TPL what are you long power/short power max settings?

Have you used TS to undervolt? If so what settings?

Jun 19, 2021
Hey there,

No, when prochot is reached the CPU will not go over that temp, and will immediately drop back clockspeed to get the temps under control again. That's why it's underclocking.

Why have you disabled Turbo?

In TPL what are you long power/short power max settings?

Have you used TS to undervolt? If so what settings?
The reason I have disabled turbo boost because it does produce a lot of heat and this is a laptop but still, it underclocks, I don't know why tho because I have tried other stuff to make sure it doesn't underclock like setting the power management "battery saver" but it still does and only when it's charging.

Second of all, I am new to TS so can you tell me how to see "the long power/short power max settings"?

and I have never undervolted my cpu.

Okay, yes, that's a valid point. Your CPU will output more heat with turbo enabled. But turning it off isn't solving the issue. It's just masking it. Leave that option off, and see if we can reduce temps normally.

So, when you say underclocking, how are you monitoring it? Use HWMon of HWInfo (with sensors). Modern CPU's are designed to reduce/increase clockspeeds dynamically on the fly. So it speeds up when it's doing a demanding task, but not so much that it overheats.

Some Dell laptops have undervolting disabled from a bios level, but we can check and see if that is the case with yours. Undervolting the CPU, reduces the voltage to the CPU, which reduces heat, which reduces fans speed, and also allows your CPU to boost higher and for longer periods.

Here's where TPL is on TS: View: https://imgur.com/TOHErJg

Long Power/Short Power Max are the PL1/PL2 Ratings for your CPU. To make a long story short, I think for your CPU it might be 15/25w This is the amount of power your CPU draws at certain clockspeeds. These numbers can be changed up or down. And doing so can improve performance and temps also.

Do you run any Dell software that helps with fans, or performance or anything like that. They can often cause issues with fans speeds specially.

Solution
Jun 19, 2021
Here are my TPL settings:
https://ibb.co/Jcj1Btx

and I have to ask that does undervolting your CPU voids your laptop's warranty? and even if it
does is there a risk of damaging your CPU or Motherboard?

and I am also running dell support assistant software to update drivers and optimize my pc and scan my pc and everything like that.