Question Why does my laptop's battery keeps getting drained overnight?

Mar 18, 2019
So, I am encountering this problem for about a month or two. My laptop's battery just keeps draining for no reason! My laptop is plugged in all the time. I remove the charger at about 11 p.m. and my laptop is discharged in the morning.
I have tried disabling fast-boot and it worked for a while. then, my laptop kept discharging. It started around my installation of VMware Pro 15. My laptop is running Windows 7 Professional x64. Any help would be appreciated.

The battery most likely can no longer hold a charge and therefore needs replacing.
If you often run your laptop from mains power for long periods it is advisable to remove the battery, then re-attach the battery occasionally just to top it up.
This will avoid the battery being constantly recharged which shortens it's life.

Mar 18, 2019
The battery most likely can no longer hold a charge and therefore needs replacing.
If you often run your laptop from mains power for long periods it is advisable to remove the battery, then re-attach the battery occasionally just to top it up.
This will avoid the battery being constantly recharged which shortens it's life.
Yesterday night, I forced shutdown my PC by pressing the power button. (I assure you, I do not do it regularly) and in the morning the battery was same as I had left the night before. I think that it is some software's fault, not my hardware's.

If u are letting your machine to sleep overnight, LOTS of reasons the laptop may wake up on its own and do things. Vendors LOVE to sell u useless stuff like, our machine can wake up on its own and update your email blah-blah, and knowing most humans, leave things at their default. May wanna check your W10 update policy.

Mar 18, 2019
If u are letting your machine to sleep overnight, LOTS of reasons the laptop may wake up on its own and do things. Vendors LOVE to sell u useless stuff like, our machine can wake up on its own and update your email blah-blah, and knowing most humans, leave things at their default. May wanna check your W10 update policy.
No, I completely shut down my computer and I am running Windows 7 x64. I went to meet my Aunt and used my laptop on the trip to there. I did a complete shutdown of my computer due to low battery. In the morning, I expected it to be completely discharged but it wasn't. I poked around for reasons and found something. My Disk Defragmentor was set to automatic activation at 3:00 am everyday and defragment all the drives. I changed it to once a month and now it is working just fine for some reason.

If the laptop is truly powered off overnight, it could be either the electronics in the battery or the lithium cells are struggling due to wear and tear. Your disk defrag tool would not have drained the battery if the laptop was actually powered down, so keep a close eye on it.

How do you usually shut down your laptop, by the way?

Mar 18, 2019
If the laptop is truly powered off overnight, it could be either the electronics in the battery or the lithium cells are struggling due to wear and tear. Your disk defrag tool would not have drained the battery if the laptop was actually powered down, so keep a close eye on it.

How do you usually shut down your laptop, by the way?
Sorry for the late reply, but I press the shutdown button from the start menu. Now, unexpectedly, it is working just fine. It doesn't drain overnight as it used to before. Thank you for your reply. I will take it once to the repair store.

TRENDING THREADS