Question Why does my m.2 970 Pro take so long to finish booting Windows?

Dec 12, 2018
So, my computer specs are as follows:

I9-9900k

ROG Maximus XI Formula

970 Pro m.2 SSD - Boot (GPT Partition)

860 Pro SSD - Back up (GPT Partition)

2080TI FTW3

32Gigs G.Skill 3200 TridentZ

Yes i have a good number of start up programs, however, ive noticed that the boot time is around the same as my SSD boot times. (i installed and ran the same start up programs on my 860Pro) and the time it takes for all programs to fully initialize and complete the boot from Windows Logo to completion is around 45 seconds. m.2 was 43(rounded) and the SSD was 44 (Rounded) Why is this? i thought m.2 was supposed to be much faster?

I cant figure out how to link my picture so here is the link

https:// gyazo. com/3125677689da1f7c56567ef406475554 (remote the spaces)

Last edited:
Are you referring to the time it takes to get to the login screen or for everything to load in the background/systray on the desktop?
How quick does it get into safe mode? Antivirus/antimalware programs doing a boot scan?

Driver initialization and support programs can take time to register system components regardless of how 'quick' your drive is. That's just the Windows way.

Dec 12, 2018
Are you referring to the time it takes to get to the login screen or for everything to load in the background/systray on the desktop?
How quick does it get into safe mode? Antivirus/antimalware programs doing a boot scan?

Driver initialization and support programs can take time to register system components regardless of how 'quick' your drive is. That's just the Windows way.

after login screen

Dec 12, 2018
So, the goal is to not have to disable programs at start up. I'm wondering why it doesnt boot faster? I have the same programs on an SSD and on an M.2 and both have similar boot times. So I know its programs, but my question is why isnt my m.2 ssd loading programs faster so that the start up is faster.....

Disable startup items one at a time to find the culprit(s). You probably have a few that are causing the slowdown.

If CrystalDIskMark is showing ~3400 MB/sec sequential reads, it's working as it should...

Many AV/AM programs, cloud storage apps, etc., all can add many time robbing processes in getting to the desktop...

You'd have to do a clean install and add things one at a time to not each apps true impact/effect on boot speed....(although task manager/startup gives an estimated impact summary of low, medium, high, etc...) Certainly disabling all and reenabling one at a time and noting impact will be telling....

TRENDING THREADS