Question Why does my monitor not show the BIOS splash screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

An Ordinary User

Prominent
Sep 25, 2020
So basically I had this rather weird issue for a couple months now. I got a new monitor and when I use it, the BIOS splash screen doesn't pop up, nor can I access it with the correct keys. When I use my old monitor, then the BIOS splash screen pops up and I can access it and do whatever I want, I also got a new PC recently with a new mobo, and I had the same exact issue. Why is this happening? Also the new monitor is a Dell S2721HGF, and the old one is some variant of the AOC 936W (the old monitor is using a VGA to HDMI adapter), and my current motherboard is an ASUS PRIME B450M-K II

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
try this. Assuming key to access BIOS is say Del, when PC starts hit Del key again and again. Now I understand nothing shows up on monitor. Here switch off the monitor and switch it on again and check.

An Ordinary User

Prominent
Sep 25, 2020
try this. Assuming key to access BIOS is say Del, when PC starts hit Del key again and again. Now I understand nothing shows up on monitor. Here switch off the monitor and switch it on again and check.
Thanks! I'll try that, I'll edit this message and say if it worked or not.
Well, It didn't work, I tried it and it flew to the Windows lock screen.

Last edited:

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
what if you remove (just disconnect) all hdd(s) /ssd (s) from your system. It has nowhere to go and it should land in BIOS ideally.
If Windows q0, what if you instruct it to boot to BIOS thru update/ recovery options. You are not updating anything just instructing it to boot to BIOS.
Do you have MBR or GPT partition scheme and is your Windows in LEgacy or uefi mode?
In windows 10 sometimes if fast boot is enabled it might skip BIOS screen

Reactions: helper800

An Ordinary User

Prominent
Sep 25, 2020
what if you remove (just disconnect) all hdd(s) /ssd (s) from your system. It has nowhere to go and it should land in BIOS ideally.
If Windows q0, what if you instruct it to boot to BIOS thru update/ recovery options. You are not updating anything just instructing it to boot to BIOS.
Do you have MBR or GPT partition scheme and is your Windows in LEgacy or uefi mode?
In windows 10 sometimes if fast boot is enabled it might skip BIOS screen
I'm pretty sure its MBR and UEFI, and fast boot is off, otherwise the old monitor wouldnt show the bios screen either. Also, at that point, removing all my drives for it to go into BIOS is more of an inconvenience than just going to another room and grabbing my old monitor.

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
There's no might about it. If fast boot is enabled the system will always skip the BIOS portion of the boot sequence. That's the whole purpose of fast boot.

To access BIOS on such a machine:
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10
I found that whole fast boot thing unreliable. Sometimes even with fast boot on I was able to enter BIOS by pressing Del fast enough. The tricky thing is it's implemented at different levels on different systems. At OS level and at Firmware level or only at OS level. Depending upon where it's enabled the results are not consistent, at least that has been my observation so far. Hence I used the word 'might'

An Ordinary User

Prominent
Sep 25, 2020
It's a process of troubleshooting to narrow down the possibilities which are many at this point.
It's not supposed to be a normal way to access BIOS anyways!
I agree. I might try that later.

If it goes into Bios on the old monitor, but I cant see anything on the new one, then the monitor is the issue.
I'll give out the results when i give that a try.

An Ordinary User

Prominent
Sep 25, 2020
Sorry for not being here for too long, I forgot about this thread a bit. I watched a Youtube video, and someone had a similar problem with an older Dell monitor, but the monitor spit out an error. So I think the actual issue was the fact that the resolution and timings of the BIOS splash screen and Windows boot up screen arent supported by said monitor, but the monitor just isnt showing an error. I may be wrong, although I am pretty sure that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.